Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #11
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Maybe fiddling in the about:config for a while might help? I'll see if I can find the time later to dig something up...
Fun Fact: IronWorks does not allow "about:" urls.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:37 AM   #12
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
How about your Firefox options? Have you changed them from their defaults? If so, in what way? What is the size of your cache( mine is 128mb)?

Note that I myself have fiddled around with the settings in order to increase the security of my web-surfing, but in your case, we're trying to find out if the default settings will eliminate the problem.

Cheers.
No, I haven't. In fact I haven't done anything do it that I can remember within the timeframe when this first started happening about 12 hours ago. It's very annoying - it's definitely happening on a cyclical basis (roughly every 10-15 seconds or so, and it lasts for about 3 seconds). It'll hang like it's waiting for something or processing something, then my drive makes a whirring noise, then it'll go again, then it'll hang again, etc. Happens whenever I try to interact with the browser screen - whether it's clicking a link, scrolling, or typing in a form box, or clicking on the Menu bar.

The extensions I use are:

I've disabled all of them now except the PDF one and the FlashGot one, which I've had forever. I'm going to disable them now as well.

I've run Adaware and Spybot about 3 times each already and cleaned my PC out. I'm guessing it's not spyware/malware as IE and Opera are not affected.

I think that what Bungleau suggested may have something to do with it - there's definitely a cyclical pattern to it.

Bozos - how do I do that about:config thing you mentioned?

[ 12-18-2006, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #13
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Just type it in your address bar (in place of httP: whatever) and FF will bring it up.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #14
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Just type it in your address bar (in place of httP: whatever) and FF will bring it up.
OK, I checked the about:config out but have no idea what to do. Can anyone suggest a starting point?

Also, I checked my phishing filter and it's definitely off.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #15
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I checked around the about:config a bit. Can't find anything that relates to your problem. But atleast I load pictures faster now! Forgot to do that since last install [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2006, 05:29 PM   #16
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Hmm, I created a new profile and it seems to have fixed the problem. I have no idea what caused it though! Now I have to reimport all my bookmarks, bugger.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:31 PM   #17
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

I'm suspecting imminent hardware failure, or perhaps a fault in your internet connection.

Two things to remember: IE is a part of windows, and doesn't usually have to load like FF. Microsoft also isn't forward looking about adopting someone else's standards.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:32 PM   #18
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Testing to see if problem is still there...no it isn't. I'm a bit scared to install extensions now!

Old 12-18-2006, 05:37 PM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm guessing my old profile got corrupted, but I'm not sure which extension did it.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:48 PM   #20
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Which were you running?