Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2004, 10:08 AM   #21
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

The Mook-only weapons are usable by Fighter, Lord, Valk, Ranger, Samurai only.

Only one Mook stays behind when you visit their embassy. Except: a Solo Mook doesn't go, but if you have more than one and they're ALL Mooks, the game can't handle it. (at least, when i tried it with a Trio of Mook Sam, Lord, Ranger, it crashed there)
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:28 PM   #22
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

Scatter

That's worrying, I have a 4 Mook party (all to get you know what eventually) Fighter, Lord, Samurai and Ranger. Gathering dust at the moment
while I'm doing the other four parties I've been mentioning lately.

Does temprarily recruitng say, Vi or Myles stop this from happening? Thanks.

Edit: Just realised how lazy I am. When I get home tonight I'll load the party up and go and see what happens. Sorry Scatter.

[ 08-26-2004, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Krull ]
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:31 PM   #23
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Fiend of the 9 Worlds:
quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
I know your name, i'll just "Banish" you!
Ha Ha Ha, Just messin' with ya Fiend..
.. actually you probably have one of those tricky names like Gniastoski or something.
You cannot Banish me, because Fiend isn't a demon... And "Gniastoski"??? Where did you hear name "Gniastoski"??? It doesn't sound really Polish... [/QUOTE]I might have the spelling wrong, but it was a girl I was seeing some years ago.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:35 PM   #24
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Tyros, there's a hill opposite the Hogar cave entrance. Set combat for turn based and walk toward it. when you enter combat, keep running around the hill. After about 4 turns the hogar will retreat and combat will end. You can now get all the stuff in it's cave!
Old 08-27-2004, 06:31 AM   #25
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

My 2 cent to the original postings:

1) The Battering Hogar in the Northern Wilderness.
Leave him alone with you type of play style. No items can be that good that you risk loosing the game for getting them. I'm playing expert ironman, so i know.
My usualy route is to go to the umpani camp after Arnika, just to pick up some good items. But i don't do any fights on the route there except the fix rogue group.
At that early stage, even normal hogars are dangerous (although less with a strong party like your). Avoid battering ones until later.

2) The Oak Saplings off of the anti-magic area in Trynton.
Again the option to let them alive for some time. Or, as others wrote, lure them into the ant-magic area. I usually initiate combat not by moving into their sight in combat mode, but by casting a fireball on them from out of sight.

3) Any encounters with Leaf Sprites in Trynton.
Try to avoid them. Or be prepared for the fight. Use x-ray with your mage to see if there is someting hostile ahead. Then you can often start combat from out of their sight. Cast elemental shield with your mage, and use another ball spell (some potion or dust maybe) to engage combat. Let your priest cast a guardian angel on the mage in the initial round.

4) Cultists/ Highwaymen on the Arnika Road.
In expert/ironman, i only level up in the monastary to level 5. There you already have decent atack power, but the enemies aren't that tough yet.

5) The Rattkin. Not the breeders -- those are beatable.
Either attack and kill the goons before you take on the breeders.
Or just leave them for a while. I do this often if a have a weaker party. I then wait for level 11 before i kill them, so i can portal out of the area if necessary (i consider your party a very strong one).

6) Moraxes in the Cemetary Dungeon.
I don't do the cemetary dungeon at this low level.

Bonus: How high a Locks/Traps should you have before trying the chest with Don Barlone?
I have managed to set it off even with a skill of ~135 (rogue with items after high level devine trap). Well, what bad things can happen?
Death spell / curse - usually not lethal (at least not for several party members).
Lifesteal - can be very annoying if set off several times, but then its bach to Braffit's pool.
Heatwave - drop your potions and scrolls before opening. Not lethal.
Philosophers bane - at this stage, i rarely have spare money.
Guarding - IMO the only really dangerous trap at this chest. I walk into the corner and turn around as much as possible before opening the chest. This way, an elemental is between and Barlone/Calzone, which can help the fight(s). And the elemental cant't attack in the back.

Your party: IMO one of the strongest parties (except things like several fighters). Before you've finished the game once, i'd stay with full party.
Mage/priest are far better than bishop that early in the game. If you go for bishop, make sure your wizardry is at 30 before levelling up to level 5.
Fighter and thief are the two classes with the highest raw damage. Give Bloodlust to your thief, not the fighter, and use powders for ranged attacks.
Bard is a very good character, especially for beginners. The unlimited insanity spells make a big advantage.
The character i'd replace is the valkurie. There's always Vi, one of the best RPCs. But as long as you don't know them all, i'd rather not stich with her for the whole game. Once you've finished the game once, you might opt not to use RPCs again, so try them in your 'early' games.
I'd replace the valkyrie with either ranger or monk. Ranger is very useful due to his automatic searching (like you had a detect secrets spell active all the time). And his ranged abilities are very good for balanced parties (not too specialized in melee or spells).
The other option is monk. Another very nice front liner, and you gain access to another scool of magic.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:43 AM   #26
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Fiend of the 9 Worlds:
But OK, you can try... Just remember I have 1298 hp, 6640 stamina, poisoned blade dealing 99 damage every hit, mystic arrows (199 damage and 90% of critical hit) and full immunity to all magic... Good luck. >;-]
Well, with an high AC, you'll miss most of the time. And if you hit, you'll only do 49 points of damage (or was this reduction due to a personal skill?).
My solo ninja just walked in to the Fiends (two, since expert difficulty). He stood still a few rounds, just watching the fiends try to fight. When they finally scored a hit, he stroke back. Half a combat round and two criticals later, the fight was over.

Well, solo characters were *very* powerful in Wiz 7. Much harder until level 10, but from then on, the experience needed to advance was quite linear. Killing a pair of Godzilly yielded 7 levels for a solo character.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:14 AM   #27
Fiend of the 9 Worlds
The Magister

Hmmm... so how long was your fight with Dark Savant in Wizardry 7? He is a weakling compared to the Fiend...
Fiend of the 9 Worlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:50 AM   #28
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

I don't recall if i fought him. If i did, its an easy calculation:
A high level character with high strength and dexterity had two primary and two secondary attacks, with 4 swings each. Once i was above level 50 or 100, i don't think anything ever survived one attack (4 swings) without a critical hit. So it's 4 monster per combat round.

IIRC the final fight was two medium sized groups of monsters, and the two dark savants in the rear. That should be 3-5 combat rounds for the fight.

The fiend of 9 worlds was one of the hardest fights for a normal party. But i think the beast of 1000 eyes was harder. Against the fiend, fast characters with the hide in shadow ability could hide, then attack (and become visible), then hide again next round before they got hit. This doesn't work well against monsters with spells, since they sometimes affected hidden characters.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:38 PM   #29
Fiend of the 9 Worlds
The Magister

Ok, I change my profession from Fiend to fighter/ninja/thief/lord/mage/priest/alchemist/psionic (lvl 500 in every profession). Try to kill me now!!! >:->

[ 08-27-2004, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Fiend of the 9 Worlds ]
Fiend of the 9 Worlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:58 PM   #30
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Well, my solo ninja was level ~450 IIRC. Maybe i should scum for some more Godzilly before the fight.