Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2001, 11:15 PM   #31
Efreeti_Genie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Killer bunnies and deer got me thinking.

"The Search for the Holy Grail" can't remember the guys name, but the comedy one.
-and-
The shooting game where your the deer shooting all the fat, lazy hunters. (Deer Avenger?)
Efreeti_Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 11:23 PM   #32
adam mage

at the Toadem Quest, there should more monsters there.... how about killer frogs on the lily pads, striking you with their tongues? Or tadpoles with teeth? mean mosquitoes that will drain you dry? Snapping turtles....

oh hey! how about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
Old 01-10-2001, 11:34 PM   #33
Lily the Ranger

Efreeti - MONTY PYTHON . . . "I'm not dead yet." "We are the knights who say, 'Nee'" . . . Monty Python's Flying Circus.
Old 01-10-2001, 11:45 PM   #34
Moni

Serath,
LMAO! No! I was actually thinking of Monopoly money, but that was good!!!
Old 01-11-2001, 12:03 AM   #35
Efreeti_Genie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yep that was it. Monty Python. I always get a good laugh out of his movies.
Efreeti_Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 12:45 AM   #36
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi,

Gosh, this forum is addicting, just like the good ol WW days.

Serath - Minsc is not crazy! I just started playing BG and I think him and Boo are great.

Monster Ideas:

First, I think the most important thing (other than exploding sheep) is the monsters INTELLIGENCE and the AI of your foes. Some of you may remember my crack the other day about Spaceship Warlock. It was one of the very first 3D action games that no one may remember. Despite it being almost 10 years old, the AI was unique, I mean its still way ahead of many games I see today. For instance, talking to people was better than WW, certain words or combinations could set people off! The programmers were freakin' geniuses (or super nerd neener heads) and programmed almost every foul curse word into the script. So, I remember talking to this babe with white hair, and if you said anything even slighty naughty, she's either glare at you, or slap you as I remember. Going to the bar, you could order about 200 different drinks. Now, this was almost 10 years ago! I am woefully unimpressed with computer AI at present. Especially with the dialogs with NPC's. Let me recant a little story for you that expresses my feelings best. And its about yours truly!

About 5 years ago I started working on a text based RPG. I was a Mac user (shut up) and was did it all on a mac with some of its weird software (shut up again). I wanted to make a fun little RPG, but I wanted to make it very unique, something that would test the players mettle. And while having classial RPG roots, but with a new twist. I ended up making a pretty good game with a little cult following (mainly twerps who wanted it free after all my hard work), but one thing stood out it in that I got many compliments on.

Its AI.

Only one person ever finished it, poor guy since I got stressed near the end and my beta testers flaked (hmm, that sounds famillar, eh DWB?), and the game wasn't perfectly balanced. However, my point here is below if you are still reading...

Basically put, my game was kind of lame compared to most commercial ones, but I put excessive amounts of details into the enemies. I programmed them with artifical intelligence, but it was so simple it wasn't even funny. Each monster had programmed attacks it would do, but had special scripts that allowed it to adapt. For instance, the first Dragon had two attacks, one where it would bite and claw you, the other it breathed fire. Its default when it attacked you was to flamebreath you, however if the attack failed to do much damage to you, my script analyzed this and the monster would switch attacks. It would then resort to physical attacks to see if they worked. Since the monsters breath weapon was related to his current HP, if it healed itself, it would try the breath weapon at full power, this is just one example of many many details that the enemies had. As the game progressed, you'd have monsters with 4 to 6 attacks of different elements (I had 15 types of magical damage in the game), usually like wind, fire, acid, poison, etc. It something didn't work, it switched attacks on you. Also, if you're HP dropped to lower than 15% of max, the monsters would sense you were dying and their critical hit ability would go through the roof. Basically put, they were sensitive to the player. The main joy I've always had in RPG's are the many and fascinating ways in which to attack enemies. Should I beat him with a big stick, a sword, a space hamster or a fireball? I got tired of so many RPG's that just had a big dumb warrior in a tin can suit of armor beating monsters over the head. Whack, 2 damage, Dodge, whoops the slime missed me! Whambo, 4 damage with my toothpick. Ohh, critical hit, 16 damage!

I made my game with 8 very different character classes (one of which was a Demon that had turned good, so much fun!), each of which had many, many attacks that you could use. But the weirdest thing about it, the enemies were like you. They varied in nature, and changed their fighting styles to match your characters particular strengths and weaknesses. And if I could show you the code I used to do this, it was so simple!

I'm sure there are some RPG's out there that do this, but despite the 3d rendering, the fancy graphics or even the monsters yelling "Chit Chit, we pays fah pies" at you, it still seems they are programmed to just attack, attack, and attack more. Gee George, look at the pretty mouse. I will hit him with my Long Sword of Stupidity +1, whack! I hit him George. Hey George, why are you pointing that gun at me? George, look at the rabbits.

*BANG!*
Rip Lenny....

Sure, WW could use some different enemies, but I say it could use INTELLIGENT ones. This would make the battles difficult and fun, pushing the player to their limit of things they could do. Also, I feel WW has a sincere lack of boss characters, aka the big nasty 8 eyed freaks. I LOVE to fight big henchmen and bosses, and IMHO, this is one of the most important parts of ANY video game. I just loved the end of Crusaders of the Dark Savant with the 8 Gorrors. I was disappointed to see no final boss in that game though.

And finally, when you get to the meanest, nasiest overlord of them all, they need to have a pretty good can of whoop ass! If any character should have a clever AI, its the bosses. Cet was a big sissy.

Well, I will retire to bed and shut up now, but I've had my time on the soap box.

Scronan

P.S. Despite my ranting, I do love WW a lot. One of favourite games of all time.
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 01:27 AM   #37
Serath
Manshoon

I agree with you Scronan. Minsc and Boo are awesome! I put them as the leader of my little party so that I can hear his dialog every time I perform an action. I do stick to my opinion that Minsc is a little off his rocker however. I guess that's what makes him so hilarious.

Serath
"Butt kicking for goodness!!!"
Serath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 02:13 AM   #38
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Scronan, I wish YOU would create games! Your ideas sound great. It's too bad that so many games nowadays sell out to graphics at the expense of AI and storyline. Anyway, your game sounds like it would beat 95% of what's out there commercially today. If ever you decide to publish one, I hope I get a chance to try it out.

Sazerac (and I'd be a paying customer, too!)
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 03:37 AM   #39
Moni

LOL, I have a Siamese cat named "Boo"

Not named after the character you all are discussing, lol but he can be mean when he plays & downright evil when he fights.

He's fixed too, supposed to mellow the males somewhat (?!) Makes me wonder what a terror he would be had we not had the operation done!
Old 01-11-2001, 05:34 PM   #40
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Back to the top!
Wyvern is online now   Reply With Quote