Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2001, 11:43 AM   #41
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Wow Yorick, you covered a lot of literary ground there! Cannot say if those books I sent (and still sending) you will live up to your expectations. Just remember, they are fantasy and basically for fun, nothing exactly educational going on. Intense perhaps would be a good description!
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 11:50 AM   #42
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I've got Althalus too. It started promising, I got about a third, maybe half the way through before something else distracted me. It did seem like a fresh direction for him. Good twist in the plot.

My main issue with Eddings was the character development. The interrelation was very limited. (Garion and Ce'Nedras communication was terrible) And I started getting the feeling than any one character could have his lines substituted for anothers without to much problem.

All Eddings women teased the men whether it was Polgara vs Belgarath, Ce'Nedra vs Belgarion or a harlot vs Radek of Boktor! And now Emmy vs Althalus!!! AAAARRRRGGGG!!

Compare this to Nakor the Isalani (Feist) for difference in communication style or Mara of the Acomas (Feist/Wurts) varied ways of relating depending on the circumstances.

I am an Eddings fan though, just a disappointed one.
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 11:54 AM   #43
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

(LOL) Don't worry about it ladyzekke! I know that. I like to escape too you know - don't I play BG? I am thankful you sent them! Cheers again.
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 03:14 PM   #44
Dinin

i read alot of Sci-Fi and fantasy like: R.A. Salvatore, Raymond E. Feist, and Terry Goodkind (who totally kicks A**, by the way does anyone read 'Faith of the Fallen', and if so is it any good )

i used to read all the Star Wars books like KJ Anderson, Timothy Zahn.
But of all the writers i have to give the most props to Orsen Scott Card you just cant beat 'Enders Game'

Thats My Rant, Im Out
Old 01-22-2001, 03:28 PM   #45
Melusine
Dracolisk

Ertai I think your grasp of English is too limited to really understand what I wrote (no offense of course). So let me explain again
1. What I was doing was QUOTING or rather summarising the little poem on the front page of Werther, i.e. I am NOT saying anything aboutsuicidal people being morons, just explaining what the poem said.
2. It is well known that a lot of susceptible adolescents are enormously influenced by famous people killing themselves. Think of what happened when Kurt Cobain from Nirvana killed himself: half the fans tried to -or at least wanted to or talked about- follow his example (and believe me - I was one of them (not with regard to the suicide, but I was a fan)). The same sort of mass hysteria happened when Die Leiden des jungen Werther was published. As a comment and a warning to THOSE young people who got carried away by it, the next edition had those lines printed on the front page. All I'm saying is: by the time they grow up, most people realise that their adolescence problems turned out allright and they realise that suicide would have been slightly silly in their cases (please no reactions about people who DO have serious problems in this period of their lives and are not merely fawning over some idol, believe me, I know that they do exist...I know that all too well....)
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 03:35 PM   #46
bazz1234

Hi guys! how could i have missed this post for so long?

I LOVE to read, its escapism, and i need it!!!

OK then the typical Fantasy books: Robert Jordan (if you do not know WOT then what have you been doing??),
R.E Feist (loads a of cool books, gotta love the name Pug?),
Terry Goodkind (great series, sword of truth),
Terry brooks (the guy that wrote all those shannara books, btw theres a new one out in that series),
Eddings, becuase they are cool, not reas the new one yet, its on my list
Robin, also good, not read all teh ship ones yet, i have them at home...
L.E.Modisett Jr, i like the magicical recluce series, thouhg just got the new sorcerss ones...
Tolikien, its ok.....
Katherine Kerr, i love the way she nips about in time....
not read anne macaffery yet, shes on my list...

there are others, my bookcase is SOO full, i have them all 2 deep, 2 high and they are still all falling out....

I also read, some miltry type books, i got the sharp series, and a cool american civil war series... woudl like to read more, but do not have the time right now.

also like to read Anncient history, including greeks, romans but my favorite is egyptians. Gotta love em!

Oh and the Dine series, thats where the signiture is from

Laterz... Bazz
Old 01-22-2001, 04:25 PM   #47
mildred

For the SciFi/Fantasy Sherri S. Tepper and Robert Jordan currently, but I spend my days reading medieval sagas, epics, romances, and other medieval poetry and prose: Arthurian, Old Norse, Germanic, Old French etc. (it's my job)
Old 01-22-2001, 04:32 PM   #48
Melusine
Dracolisk

Mildred: I'm interested...tell me more!
What do you read specifically? What is your job?
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 04:55 PM   #49
Charlie
Lord Ao

I can't say as I read as much as I should or would like to, not enough hours in the day now.

Although I've read Tolkiens works many times and loved them I'm not really a fantasy buff.

I read mainly autobiography's, the last three I've read were all gifts, all deal with figures from the London Underworld and were great reading.

Lenny McLean - The Guvnor.
Dave Courtney - Stop the Ride I want to Get off.

I highly recommend the two above.

Mad Frankie Fraziers book whose title unfortunately escapes me atm. Hard going but not a bad read.

Prior to these, and a good few years ago now, I read Winston Churchills book (3 vols) A history of the English Speaking peoples. Absolutely fantastic read if you like history (as I do). Starts from the year dot and concerns many countries.

I've read a lot of Stephen Kings works and those of another famous author in the same vein whose name once again escapes me...wrote the rats and the lair etc. (Sorry, it's been a bloody long weekend, not long home and I'm knackered).

I don't know what it is but for some strange reason I just can't read fiction anymore, maybe I just haven't found the right books.

Good thread btw Ladyzekke.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 05:19 PM   #50
mildred

Melusine,
I'm a grad student & instructor. I'm studying mostly Arthurian legend--Malory & the 13th C. prose (although it's in old French and I'm not able to read that yet, so I have to read translations); if you ever read the old Norse, Germanic and Norweigan sagas (Volsunga Saga and the Siegfried sagas off the top of my head) they are like rough versions of modern fantasy--dragons and all; some cool female characters too. Plus a lot of fantasy (Jordan esp.) draws on Arthurian legend. Check them out if you're bored!
It's a great thing to do all day [other than play addictive computer games...]

--M