Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2001, 03:50 AM   #81
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

"Call me a nutter if you wish" okay your a nutter

------------------
Welcome to hell.
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 01:41 PM   #82
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Yorick, in response to your above question to me:

I'm open to any sort of discussion, as long as it's given in mutual respect. When anyone starts telling me I'm wrong and damned to eternal hellfire, that's where I have a problem: 1) for them assuming that they're automatically right, and 2) for them usurping God's role in judging me and damning me.

If one wants to make an impression rather than antagonize, apply Christ's ONE commandment in all one's interactions:

"Love one another as I have loved you."

Can much more be said other than that?

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 01:47 PM   #83
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Saz, you said it all. You're absolutely right. The best commandment - "Love one another as I have loved you." We should respect everyone's beliefs, faith, religion and point of view. In this area, there is no right or wrong. Just because I firmly believe that the soul has and will live many lives does not mean that I think everyone should believe that and I am right and everyone else is wrong.

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Lady Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 03:16 PM   #84
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

LadyAvalon, I agree fully...if I knew that I was RIGHT, then what would be the purpose of me being here? Like being in school and having all the answers, you know. I would never be so arrogant...not to mention it would be rather boring...nothing new to discover or learn!

Hugs,

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 06:14 PM   #85
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

You said it Sazerac - or, rather, Jesus did, lol! Best thing anyone EVER said.

(I know I wasn't going to post on here any more, but I've been lurking and couldn't resist! )

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 06:28 PM   #86
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I know I was the one who started this, but I do have to say this is one of the most interesting topics so far.

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Lady Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 09:50 PM   #87
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Avalon;
Saz, you said it all. You're absolutely right. The best commandment - "Love one another as I have loved you." We should respect everyone's beliefs, faith, religion and point of view. In this area, there is no right or wrong. Just because I firmly believe that the soul has and will live many lives does not mean that I think everyone should believe that and I am right and everyone else is wrong.
Your statement is SO true Lady Avalon! I would not condemn anyone for their beliefs when my own are so far fetched to the rest of the world. It IS what I believe though and I am sure when I pass through Death's door, I will find out just how wrong or right I am. I think we all will.

Hugs!
Moni

------------------
Old 05-17-2001, 09:55 AM   #88
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
I am sure when I pass through Death's door, I will find out just how wrong or right I am.

Or possibly NOT, lol!

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 10:48 AM   #89
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Life after death? Of course I believe in Life after death. I hope none of you think we're just going to lay in the ground and rot when we die. I don't necessarily believe in reincarnation, but I'm not trying to dismiss the possibility, and diss someone elses religion. I think life in heaven like earth should be what you make it. Not what someone tells you it should be.

------------------
Burn to a crisp!
Redblueflare (Call me Red

[This message has been edited by Redblueflare (edited 05-17-2001).]
Redblueflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 12:36 PM   #90
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Avalon:
We should respect everyone's beliefs, faith, religion and point of view. In this area, there is no right or wrong.
What about a religion that sacrifices babies and believes in killing any dissenters or people of differing faiths. Do we respect that belief too?

I am careful in making absolute statements. I repect a belief with shows care for life and respect of my own. A belief which impacts negatively on others I have a harder time respecting or allowing time for.

On a more moderate level, is a belief that says everyone is wrong (except them) not worthy of the same respect as one which says everyone is right? Are these not just opposite beliefs? Why do "we" tolerate everything escept intolerance? Doesn't true tolerance allow room for an intolerant viewpoint? (within reason of course)

There may not be RIGHT or WRONG in terms of absolutes, but there definitely is something that WRONGS another, and something that does RIGHT for someone. Replace right and wrong with benefit and detract.

In that sense there are religions that benefit both believers and non-believers (right), and religions that detract from a positive life experience for both it's followers and bystanders (wrong).

Am I right? or am I wrong?

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote