Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2004, 04:05 PM   #11
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Honestly tobacco companies has a lesser extend when comes to moral issues but they are in the business of making money and what they are marketing is legal.

Are tobacco companies evil? Are liquor and beer companies evil? Is microsoft evil?

We each have our own opinion on such things. What I am really trying to say is that we are have we choose to be.

if you don't enjoy smoking anymore, just quit. One of my friend just woke up one day, realising that all the cigarettes has *lost* their taste and he stoped smoking ever since.

If you really try hard enough, you can quit. Although you might feel miserable in the transition period, by the time you got through, you will realised how good it felt... not to mention the boost to your self-confidence.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:06 PM   #12
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Pikachu_PM:
I appreciate the support...my biggest problem is my head. I don't even enjoy the physical act of smoking any more...it almost makes me sick. The problem is that when I go more than 6 hours without a cigarette my brain seems to just detach itself from reality...and on top of that I can't think of ANYTHING buy smoking a cigarette. I thought it would get better after a day or so, but it doesnt... do you have any advice. Most ppl talk to me about missing the feel of the smok in their lungs or the 'act' of smoking...I just want my head to not feel all ****'ed up if I go more than a few hours without smoking.
Larry's advice is great. I think for you, patches and gum and so on probably won't be all that useful because they are primarily meant to retain the feeling of having nicotine in your system while you break the habit of actually smoking, which is a highly reinforced behaviour. However I think you definitely need some sort of distraction, as Larry said. I think your biggest problem may be that you think quitting should easily done in a short time, so after a day of no results you give up - it will not. Like any drug, you will suffer withdrawal symptoms, in your case a sensation of unreality, for maybe a week or more before you start to feel normal again. During that time you will definitely need people and activities to keep you occupied and give you encouragement. It will be difficult, but you CAN quit - everyone who smokes could quit if they approach it the right way.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:10 PM   #13
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

Its easy to say just quit,some people have a much harded time than others,might be an organic thing(?)nicotine is a drug an adicting drug,plus add in the chemicles tobacco companies add to make it even more addicting and you have ,in my opinion,a case of legal drug pedaling..I think its an evil thing to do even if it is legal..Where theres money to be made they will make it no matter who gets hurt..Let the buyer beware!
Old 01-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #14
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah, I got the thing for you. I have a friend who had the same problem. I just now tried to contact him, but he ain't home...so I will have to call back later. Basically, there is this over-the-counter drug that is actually meant for weight loss (I think) but there is an active ingredient in it that actually took away my friend's mental problem with the addiction so easily and quickly, he was surprised that they did not advertise this junk for what it really did. He told me that they actually have a similar drug on the market that is meant to do exactly what I just described...but it does not work even half as effectively as this other pill.

I will try to find out what it is called and the active ingredient that makes it work.
By the way...he no longer needs the pill. It only took about six months to clear his mind of any need he once had.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:37 PM   #15
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Well I am 16 years old. No I don`t smoke or drink and I hope I will never touch that stuff. But I have friends who already smoke! And they are 14-16 years old. So if they smoke from 16 to the end of their lives this is one hell of a long time. And I aksed them: "Why do you do this? It`s unhealthy." They said: "You`re unhealthy." [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

I really don`t get it...
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:10 PM   #16
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Pikachu_PM:
quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
Now thats what I am talkin about. Cold turkey is the best way to go for most people. You have to really want to quit, and bingo, you will. Good for you john!
Statistically, cold turkey is the WORST way to quit. Know your facts before you express opinions. [/QUOTE]Stats are just that, stats. Personal experiance is my fact. I quit cigs cold turkey and was clean for a year, then chose to start agian. The point is, you have to want to, period. If you need programs to help you want to qiut, thats fine. But it still comes down to having to want it before, you will be forever done. I feel I can express opinions all I can, being pretty darn experienced with addictive nature in my life. Cigs and illicit drugs alike. Please take this as one mans experienced opinion.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:17 PM   #17
Rokenn
Galvatron

Here is something that may help get you motivated to quit. Go to a nearby large hospital and volunteer in the lung cancer ward for a day or two. Good luck on kicking the habit PM. I smoked for a year back in the 80's and it was hard to give up.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:29 PM   #18
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

My wife smoked for 40 years. She tried the gums and patches. She tried willpower. A little over a year ago she went into the hospital, spent time in ICU and was diagnosed with emphysema. Her doctor told her that if she smoked she would be dead within 3-6 months. She has not smoked since then. Fear worked where nothing else did.

For those who think such doctor advice is ill advised let me relate my father's experience. He had emphysema and was told the same thing. He continued to smoke and died within 3 monthsof emphysema.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:21 PM   #19
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I suggest reading some of Allen Carrs work. Apparantly, that man is a miracly worker [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:43 AM   #20
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Pikachu, it is wholey your fault you are addicted. You knew the risks and you are to blame. And There is nothing wrong with the cold turkey method. It's how I quit smoking, and I was smoking up to 2 1/2 packs a day. I just crushed the half a pack I had in my pocket and that was it. Well, except when I drank. I would smoke one or two when I drank. But I don't drink anymore, so both problems were solved.
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote