Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

KOLKATA, India (Reuters) - Police in eastern India have rescued a Muslim man who had been shackled in chains for a month for marrying his childhood lover against the wishes of his father and village clerics, authorities said Friday.

Raghu Amin, 21, was locked in a dingy room by his father in a village in the state of West Bengal after he publicly announced his marriage to 18-year-old Sehnaaz Khatoon, who came from a poorer and lower class family, police said.

"He was chained throughout and even served food in this condition as punishment," said police officer Jay Biswas.

Police came to Raghu's rescue Thursday evening in Baduria village, 70 km (40 miles) north of the state capital Kolkata, after his wife lodged a complaint.

Raghu's father has been arrested on charges of wrongful confinement and police said they were looking for some village clerics who they suspected were also involved.

In India, most marriages are still arranged by parents of the bride and groom who often look for compatibility in religion, caste and class. Couples breaking from this tradition are sometimes ostracized by their families and even face violence.

© Reuters 2007. All rights reserved.

I'm rather surprised it took his wife so long to step to the police. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

How far away are the police exactly? My experience with that part of the world would indicate the local constable at best would hold a central seat. The police, now that is something different and are usually not found close to poor and isolated villages. Walking 70 km to the capital to lodge the complaint may not be uncommon, then how long for the police to respond? Ehh, sounds approximate. I really don't think she jumped into her SUV and drove to the police station three blocks away. :

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

It would have been quite hazardous to her. She got lucky in this case, in that the police acted swiftly. She most probably spent some time to make sure the police would not add her case to the current backlog of about 3 million cases by the Indian Police. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'm surprised that it was resolved so quickly, actually. This is a country where these things happen.

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hope the guy is marrying is worth it is all i can say. good luck for him

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote