Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2001, 04:15 AM   #1
Qbas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well i was just wondering that is there any better Axes than the War Axe?? I need a new and powerful axe to my Barbarian Dwarf...so please inform me if there is better axes
Qbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 07:08 AM   #2
skywalker
Banned User

Hi Qbas!

The only better axe I found was near the end of the game. I think it is randomly found, so there is no specific place you can get it. It is the "Axe Of Runes And Stones". It does 7-16 points of damage and has +1 enchant and +1 To Hit. It's not really that great compared to some of the other "Special Weapons" in the game. The game leans more favorably toward swordsmen than any other weapon user.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 07:32 AM   #3
Qbas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well darn! =(..well i think i'm going to use hammers instead then...is there any good hammers to buy or to find?
Old 09-11-2001, 07:50 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi Qbas!

W&W seems to prefer swords and staves over other weapons. There are a few good axes and hammers but the selection is limited and the best of these are, as far as I recall, only to be found randomly in treasure.
Enchanting and blessing can improve your weapons, perhaps you'll consider using the magical route in your search for a better axe/hammer!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 01:54 PM   #5
Overthruster
Elite Waterdeep Guard

There are some great Double Battle Axe's that my Warrior/Barbarian now Samurai uses to great effect. Read on if you want to know where they are:

there are two of them in the hidden valley off of the Boogre's den that you get when you kill the cyclops. I killed him quite early before the quest (which I haven't received yet, but learned about here).
Overthruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 02:02 PM   #6
Jazzid
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Qbas:
Well darn! =(..well i think i'm going to use hammers instead then...is there any good hammers to buy or to find?
I found a fairly good +1 enchanted double handed war hammer in Shuregeon castle when I killed the blacksmith in one of the first rooms.

Good Luck!

Jazzid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 03:54 AM   #7
Qbas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes! This double axe is good ...it's just perfect for my Dwarf Barbarian...now i can hack n slash the evil to little pieces
Old 09-17-2001, 11:30 AM   #8
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Qbas,

Great question, I have been wondering this myself in my second playthrough as I have a Gourk Paladin who I trained to user Axes, Maces and Hammers instead of swords.

For a while he was using a War Axe +1 and a Side Axe +1, fully enchanting they were only dishing out about 30-32 damage a piece. It was cool to see him wielding two axes, but their damage was poor.

The best axe I've found is the Devil's Axe, does 7-22 damage, stone, but also curses you (nothing serious), but it is 2 Handed. Fully enchanted, it will do 62 damage per hit which is a bit better than most weapons, however it still is not as much as say, a fully enchanted Tomonari Katana (close to 60) and a +2 Wakizashi (45).

However, I found in the hands of my Gourk, who had Fury, Frenzy, Arm of Argus and Giantstrike, it could do TREMENDOUS damage.

If you hide in the shadows, you can still Giantstrike and do quadruple damage. The most I had the axe do in one hit was about 240 damage, I have a snapshot of it I should post.

Other than that, near the end of the game you can find a Battle Mace +2, which can be enchanted up to 60+ damage, and the Mace of Mangling about 54. These are really good weapons, but sadly, it is true than the Swords seem to be the best in this game.

Oddly enough, the weapon that seems to the just about the highest damage is the Wizard's Blade, which will do 74 fully enchanted (by a Zenmaster).

Good luck!

Scronan

P.S. On that note, does anyone know what weapon can be enchanted to do the most damage, maybe the Bloodslinger?

[This message has been edited by Scronan (edited 09-17-2001).]
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 12:14 AM   #9
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Ok, here's a snapshot, but I know its possible to get damage up higher. This was just for kicks, and to show you CAN get a good axe in this game! Remember, with level 14 Bless, the damage could go up to 70.

[This message has been edited by Scronan (edited 09-18-2001).]
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 01:02 AM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ye gods and FIRESTONES, Scronan, that's a gorgeous screenshot! Belongs in a gallery somewhere!

Just out of curiosity, though, isn't the Axe of Demons cursed? If not, my mistake.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote