Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2001, 10:45 AM   #1
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Interesting, I was just reading the morning papers in Canada (on-line) and most of them reported that the US bombed a Red Cross compound and totally obliterated it (AFP report with Red Cross witness).

Funny that this news didn't make it to CNN yet. I guess that the NA general that was executed is far more important!

------------------
I'm the Wanderer without a clan... I bring justice without favorism. Though you may not agree with it, my judgement is final... and inconsequential
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 10:47 AM   #2
skywalker
Banned User

Is that brand new news (?!) today Ryan? I know was talk about something like that last week!

------------------
Still The Most Humbly Prideful (?) Member Of The Illuminati!

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 10:51 AM   #3
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

No, that's today. It's only the third RC warehouse that was hit so far. One last week and two yesterday

------------------
I'm the Wanderer without a clan... I bring justice without favorism. Though you may not agree with it, my judgement is final... and inconsequential
Old 10-26-2001, 11:38 AM   #4
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

These things do get overlooked
But the media caters to the public.
And at the moment the people dont want to see what a bomb missing its target will do.
One question.
If there was an american civilian in one of the red cross warehouses would they be seen as collateral damage too?

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

Overlord of all that I behold and anything that i happen to not notice either.

Founding Hamlet of the HADB.
AzureWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 12:54 PM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Ryanamur, papers are at best a day old. Print media is never going to be as immediate as television. It's entirely possible it's been reported and moved on.

The Irish peace process over here got barely a mention in the print I read.

So did the move to rearm Japan - actually I'll post a thread on that question....

Basically there's so much news to pick from, and so many papers that cover it, it's not going to be suprising when some don't report the same things. That's why an individual should get BALANCED INFORMATION from a number of sources.

When I was growing up my Dad would watch the national ABC news (government funded channel) which had a global emphasis, and also watch the highest rating news from Channel Nine - which had a local, ratings driven slant.

Now of course we have the internet which can give us more information - but not all of it is necessarily as reliable because of the lack of accountability. That same lack of accountability can provide a less biased news however.

Pros and cons all around mate, which is why it's good to receive from a variety of sources, and not expect say CNN to be gospel.

------------------
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 01:20 PM   #6
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:

One question.
If there was an american civilian in one of the red cross warehouses would they be seen as collateral damage too?

Probably as a Casualty of War

------------------
Old 10-26-2001, 01:24 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
One question.

Yep. See the German/Australian/American prisoners on trial for protoming Christianity in Afgahnistan.

------------------
Old 10-26-2001, 01:28 PM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Quote:
One question.

Yep. See the German/Australian/American prisoners on trial for protoming Christianity in Afgahnistan.

You mean promoting, right? You had me puzzled and lunging for a dictionary!

------------------
Still The Most Humbly Prideful (?) Member Of The Illuminati!

Mark

[This message has been edited by skywalker (edited 10-26-2001).]
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 01:29 PM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:

You mean promoting, right? You had me puzzled and lunging for a dictionary!

No no, for publicising and advocating a "tome" (the bible).

Sorry mate you are correct

------------------

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 10-26-2001).]
Old 10-26-2001, 05:03 PM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
These things do get overlooked
But the media caters to the public.
And at the moment the people dont want to see what a bomb missing its target will do.
One question.

Definately!

All death is horrible, but even if all the Red Cross workers killed were American, they would be collateral damage in the attack because they were not the intended target.

That term isn't meant to insinuate that those killed were unimportant, it just means they were not intentionally targeted.

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."

[This message has been edited by Ronn_Bman (edited 10-26-2001).]
Ronn_Bman is offline   Reply With Quote