Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
whathuh
The Magister

I've always enjoyed role-playing evil characters, so I decided to start a neutral evil Fighter/Mage/Thief and play insane. Durlag's Tower and the Demon were easily defeated via backstab, but I think that was a bug--they should have seen me invisible.

BG2 with tactics/Ease/Item Upgrade mods was very challenging, but not impossible. Ilyich was by far the 2nd hardest fight in the game, topped only by Irenicus himself. Faldorn was completely untouchable with the aid of the grove, so I took that away from her. I'd like to see someone actually kill her in the ring without being higher than 2950000 exp. Bodhi was difficult as well, but only the first time I met her. The second time I was in TOB levels, and she didn't have a chance against all my critical strikes. I had problems with both the yellow dragon and the small teeth pass, but they were overcomable through good tactics. It also helps that I didn't have a party to worry about. Irenicus was very hard, but I just duked it out. The hardest part was that darned lich who kept teleporting me back to him, where I was useless because of the teleport field.

ToB (ascension) starts with a massacre at Ilasera's ambush (she's improved?). Yaga-shura was simply annoying because I couldn't FIND him and kill him. Once I spotted him, it was easy, though. Abazigal and Balthazar were equally difficult, but only because of maze and his new kicks. But the final battle was impossible! I tried and tried to no avail. And this char is a GOD. Perhaps more magic resistance will help, but sheesh they just eat through my stoneskins til i'm dead.

I have beaten this before with a trio of guys, a barb/archer/sorcerer, but I had a multitude of fallen planetars on my side then via simulacrum.

Has anyone out there ever soloed the final battle on insane? I know for a fact that everything even the improved faldorn is possible (I'm currently starting a new fighter/druid to try it out without advancing to TOB levels.), but this is just... well... insane!
whathuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:25 PM   #2
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

The simplest way to kill Improved Faldorn is to let Cernd fight her. He is especially cheesed up for the battle, so he wins about 1/2 of the fights.
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:11 AM   #3
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

There was a topic somewhere how Solo Sorcerer beat Ascension. With some cheese of course.

(here: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=8945.0 )

I think multiclass Cleric/Ranger has good chances of beating Ascension too. I still have one waiting for the last fight. Rataxes came pretty close with his cleric Thomas. Do a search...
Old 03-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #4
whathuh
The Magister

My FMT can probably do it if he had kept the rift device and uses the quadruple projected image trick. How does one explain how Demogorgon dies in ONE hit from the device, but a goblin will keep slashing away, never hitting a thing.

I COULD do that, but I think that such cheese crosses the line. I also refuse to use the new shapeshifter class, its WAAY overpowered. Worse than sanduucochu or whatever.

Also, I did let cernd fight her once, he was chunked in about 3 seconds.
whathuh is offline   Reply With Quote