Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 12:53 AM   #1
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

spoilers

i read several ways to get the daystar without fighting the lich. it isnt hard, all i did was walk in with my theif without being hidden got the sword and left. no special tactis needed. i think ill go and kill him later in the game when my n00b party is at least levl 15 or so.

anybody else got the sword this way too? or was it a compleate fluke that i got it?
Old 02-22-2005, 05:28 AM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Nope, I've done it but with Improved Mages its a bit more of a scramble. Protection from Evil essential to protect a low-level party from those cursed pit-fiend summons.

If he's been asleep for a thousand years it probably takes him a minute to wake up [img]smile.gif[/img]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:25 PM   #3
IronDragon
Elminster

I always found the DayStar Lich rather easy to deal with.

First make sure everyone in your party has a weapon that can hurt Mr. Lich FoA for example, +2 arrows and bullets and so on, then after unlocking his secret doorway have Yoshimo set his maximum of traps near said secret door. Send a volunteer down to wake up the grumpy dead guy and as soon as his threat to kill everyone is done wait for him to activate his spell defenses and as soon as that starts beat a hasty retreat back upstairs. Spend some time getting to know the regulars of the Crooked Crane, have a few drinks, anything while you wait for the spell defenses to fall down. Once enough time has passed assemble your group around the secret doorway and do some simple buffing. Protection from evil works fine here, if you have individuals who can backstab set them up and get them in shadows, I find having someone with the ring of the ram situated between the bar and the secret door is really helpful, and then once again send a single volunteer down to see how Mr. Lich is getting on. Chances are he will set off a second round of spell defenses, if so again beat a hasty retreat back upstairs and wait it all out. After some quality time with your party mates our brave volunteer heads down again. Mr. Lich will try to set off some nasty spell, get out of there before he can get it finished. Mr. Lich will follow you upstairs this time. The traps will go off and knock him down a good bit. Have your backstabbers backstab, breech is a good thing to hit him with to take care of any left over spell protections, hit him with FoA and any other big guns you have with you. As soon as the backstabbing and breech hit punch him with the ring of the ram and if you are set up right he flies into the bookcases (why does a tavern like the Crooked Crane have books?) and not all the way across the room. Most times Mr. Lich is dead (again) by this time but you may need to do another round of pounding on him. Then just go and fetch DayStar.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:17 AM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

All excellent advice, with one qualification: save yourself a round and don't cast breach - lich's are immune to spell levels one through five.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

You could always have some fun taking the Lich outside. The guards near the City Gates will actually come to rescue you (well.. not really, they usually fail horribly), but it's fun to see nonetheless.

I always wondered why taking the Lich from the Crooked Cane (or any Lich, really) into a bright world full of sunshine wouldn't hurt him, but I guess he's got this real good-working tanning oil.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #6
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Well, is the sunshine-hurts-vampires just folklore? Or FR lore?

And lol, yeah I've done that. I usually find if I have to run away through a second door I'm just delaying the inevitable though
Old 02-24-2005, 04:17 AM   #7
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
Well, is the sunshine-hurts-vampires just folklore? Or FR lore?
If the sunshine-hurts-vampires is just folklore, then it beats me why they put a spell called False Dawn in the Mage's reservoir. And why would Sunray cause double damage to undead, if they could just as happily walk around on a sunny afternoon in the countryside? Seems to me they just missed out a bit of realistic programming, which I grade under the category "There's a chance to get struck by lightning if you walk outside in a storm". I don't know if this was the case in Baldur's Gate 2, but it certainly was like that in BG1.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:30 AM   #8
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Valen the vampire NPC is 'weakened' in the daylight hours and vampire ambushes don't spawn in the light
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:50 AM   #9
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

and if you happen to cheat the time to daytime during a vampire encounter they will go into mist form and float away..

Only vampires suffer badly from sunlight, undead are otherwise undead suffer the same penalitys that non darkvision/infravision char's do on a moonless night.