Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 06:46 PM   #1
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Well, it has finally begun here too. The police raided the apartment of a man whose internet piracy activities don't differ much at all from those of a huge chunk of our population, meaning he was arrested for having games and movies on his computer which could be shared with others with p2p programs. They confiscated his computer and he is now facing multimillion fines and up to 2 years in prison. The APB (Antipiratbyrån) claimed he was a high-ranking member of a file sharing hub network but also warned that "This can happen to anyone". About a dozen people have been reported by the APB and as many have been or will be followed up by similar police raids.

Links to news articles about this for those who can read swedish
http://www.idg.se/ArticlePages/20050....se549.dbp.asp
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/it/sto...607060,00.html

So what are your thoughts on these new anti-piracy measures? Personally I think it is not only a monstrous waste of resources, conducting raids like these eat up a lot of time and money which could've been better used to solve more serious crimes, but the punishment is also simply disgustingly disproportionate to the crime. Fines which would send almost anyone into financial ruin and prison times which exceed what I would get for killing someone while driving drunk is just sick, and it shows how extremely desperate the anti-piracy lobby has become, it's clearer than ever that they're losing this battle.

[ 02-25-2005, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]
Old 02-25-2005, 07:00 PM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I take the view that if you do something illegal then (however much loads of us may do it) we can't really complain if we get arrested for it.

It certainly is a waste of resources though.

What always amuses me (and the record industry tries immensly hard to keep under wraps) is that the reason music sales have fallen is because they're producing less. In fact, if memory serves, the amount of music released has actually fallen faster than the drop in sales.

Heaven forbid that they start producing proper music instead of manufactured s**te - its far simpler to blame the bogeyman of filesharing.

Edit:

A detailed (if sarcastic) analysis of the RIAA figures can be found here.

[ 02-25-2005, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
I take the view that if you do something illegal then (however much loads of us may do it) we can't really complain if we get arrested for it.
Perhaps not, but I could and will complain about being fined 2 million SEK for something which firstly isn't even illegal (possessing pirated files) and secondly, about 85% of the public feel is right (according to the related Aftonbladet poll). Laws need public support to last, this one does not have it, and I'm pretty damn certain that actions such as these will not create any either.

[ 02-25-2005, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]
Old 02-25-2005, 08:15 PM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

It's not illegal to own pirated files? Isn't it akin to handling stolen goods?

I share the sentiment of course - I'd be a bit 'disappointed' if they came a-knocking at my door, but that's the (very small) risk you take.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

What is mine is NOT yours. Come through my door and you will meet my .357 up close and personal like if you think other wise.

Pirating was outlawed after we used them in the war of 1812. Music, software, or on the high seas. Break the law, go to jail!

It is a shame that taxpayers have to pay when the only criminal is a freaking menance to society. But at the moment he is the criminal.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 02:48 AM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
A waste of money and time, there's other criminal activities that should get more attention. I guess this is the easier road to a bust. Can't say that i'm impressed.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:56 AM   #7
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
A waste of money and time, there's other criminal activities that should get more attention. I guess this is the easier road to a bust. Can't say that i'm impressed.
I agree. I think our own police should realize that it's no point in busting people like this. Instead they should be cracking down on the truly dangerous, the biggest menace to society: Pot smokers!

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 03:00 AM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
What is mine is NOT yours. Come through my door and you will meet my .357 up close and personal like if you think other wise.

Pirating was outlawed after we used them in the war of 1812. Music, software, or on the high seas. Break the law, go to jail!

It is a shame that taxpayers have to pay when the only criminal is a freaking menance to society. But at the moment he is the criminal.
I've read your post several times, but it still doesn't make any sense. War of 1812 ? You always carry a Magnum around in your own house ? The only criminal is a menace to society ? That's where you lost me. You're not drunk are you ?
Old 02-26-2005, 03:06 AM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I agree. I think our own police should realize that it's no point in busting people like this. Instead they should be cracking down on the truly dangerous, the biggest menace to society: Pot smokers! [/QUOTE]You have a very exceptional view on how the world turns, which can only mean you've smoked one or two joints too many yourself.

Which is okay with me, don't get me wrong.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:24 AM   #10
Stratos
Vampire

Handling pirated files is illegal, as far as I know.

The numbers that record sales have dropped and that p2p is to blame is perhaps questionable, but at least the record companies want it to appear as such.

As for the police raids, I suppose they want to make an example of some people to make the rest of the filesharers to think twice about downloading these files. I don't know how long this effect will last, though.