Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2003, 10:14 PM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Okay, I know just about nothing about monitors, so let me say that in case I ask a dumb question.

Apparently, ToEE has issues with monitors that refresh at lower than an 80 mhz rate. How can I check/change this on my monitor????
Old 09-19-2003, 11:45 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Right-click on desktop, select properties, go to the back for settings. Or perhaps there's a monitor tab in there. Or something else that might be promising.

Alternative is to go to control panel and poke around in the monitor, display, and system areas.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:56 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

On my desktop, I can go to Properties/Settings/Advanced/Monitor and that shows me the monitor refresh rate. It is made posisble by way of my NVidia video card, so if you do not have a video card that does this work for you, then I do not know if you will see what I do. There is a pull down menu where I can select different refresh rates, and mine is at the highest setting, which is 85.

I hope this has helped.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:00 AM   #4
Keryvian
The Magister

Well, the exact steps vary depending on your O/S.

For XP, click on Start and then select Control Panel. Select Display, then it's Settings->Advanced->Monitor.

However, my refresh rate is currently set to 75 mHz, and I haven't had any trouble running ToEE.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:17 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hey...I have WinXP. There's probably a few ways to get to the same screen, including using the NVidia Media Center icon located in the tray bar for those people that have that installed with the latest downloaded drivers. The pathway is Adjust Custom Display Properties/Advanced/Monitor

[ 09-20-2003, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 09-20-2003, 02:33 AM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Question Mark

It seems you can get there with XP / 2K. If you are running older, then just right click anywhere on your desk top = Active DT = Customize = Settings = Advanced = Then it gets different. Vidcard dependent you will see something to the liking of Adapter, that is where you will find refresh on older OS's. The general rule of thumb is to go no lower than 75 Hz. The more powerful your vidcard, the higher you can tweak your screen resolution, and refresh rate. Keep in mind, some of the newer game require a set refresh rate, this put the playability at peak performance. The higher the Hz the harder the card has to work, the harder the game itself makes the card work = the lower the frame rate.

Data = large screen 75Hz
Old game = large screen 100 or so Hz
New game small screen = 75-85Hz.

Felix

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.