Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Neal Boortz, a guy that has been around on radio for some thirty years is famous throughout the US. He said something today that I wanted to ask about.

He said that the UN had some kind of get-together with Palestine today or yesterday and that it is some kind of deal that they do to appease Palestine for some reason unknown to me.

Anyway, he said that the map that was on the wall in that room where they met was of all the countries nearby Palestine with the exclusion of Israel, Palestine's enemy.

He then said that Democrats favor the UN moreso than the Republicans do...but the Jewish community always votes Democrat...and the democrats do not favor Israel because they follow the UN's lead that Palestine is more important to appease than Israel is.

What's this all about?

NOTE: The above does not necessarily reflect my opinion...and I posted here to obtain an opinion as to the worth of that statement by Boortz.

Note #2: A Jewish lady called the show and tried to verify his claims to the listeners by saying that she knew what he had said was true, but that her family hates her for not voting Democrat and do not speak to her about political issues for it...but that she is convinced that the Dems. hate Israel.

[ 12-09-2005, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 12-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I've never heard anything about it; neither have I seen any news stories about it. I'll look around to see what I can find.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Democrats hate Israel, though.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I'll do a little digging too, but I can answer at least one aspect of your post - the 'Jewish lobby' does support the Democrats to a larger extent than it does the Republicans (as surprising as that might seem).

Last time I looked, they were the second largest contributor of campaign funds to the Democrat party, only behind organised labour. A quite astonishing figure by all accounts.

I get the feeling that the Democrats do seem to follow a less explicit pro-Israeli policy than I've seen in my few years from the Republicans, but perhaps that's why they need so much money? They need more effort to keep them sweet

As for secret deals with the Palestinians at the UN today or yesterday - be sceptical. Firstly because everyone important at the UN is currently wintering in Montreal discussing climate change in a big summit.

Secondly because pro-Palestinian motions tend to be implicitly anti-Israel, they always get vetoed by the US - thus the UN is an unlikely vehicle by which to affect any sort of change to the status quo in the Middle-East.

Finally, the idea that they would put a map up on the wall that was suspiciously missing Israel just seems a bit too much like ammunition for me. Reminds me of that Target chain-email that we had a little while back.

A further note as well - I really doubt that the Democrats look to the UN for policies as he implies. To be sure, they would certainly take it into consideration more than the current Republicans but the idea that the Democrats follow the trends of opinion in the UN seems a little far-fetched and a bit like Republican banter [img]tongue.gif[/img]

For those that don't know who he is, a search pulled up this.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Hmmm....well, doubly unlikely I think, not only are the UN in Canada, but Muslim heads of state were also having a summit of their own. I won't derail your thread, but given the rather remarkable nature of it I'm surprised that this story isn't making huge front-page waves.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

The Democratic Party supports Israel to the extent the majority its American Jews, huge contributors and influencers of the party, support Israel. Maybe American Jews and the Democrats are just more ENLIGHTENED about how Israel should be doing things than the Republicans or Iraelis are? Hmmmm?

[ 12-12-2005, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]