Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2004, 07:39 AM   #1
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

I just got the game yesterday and started out as a paladin.I had Imoen Jahiera and Khalid in my party and was 'waylayed by enemies' as it says in SoA.My whole party was shot dead by archers in a few seconds.That wouldnt happen in II.And i started a mage when my paladin died and i couldnt find the sorcerer class,so i took normal mage and got a whole 1 spell.This has to be a hard game.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
masteraleph
Elminster

Waylaid by enemies can be very hard, sometimes I'll reload depending on what I get.

Some classes aren't available in BG1- the kits, Sorcerer, Barbarian, and Monk all come to mind. If you want to play with them, look for the BGT or BG Tutu mods (both of which put BG1 into the BG2 engine- requires both games).

Finally- in this games, ranged people rule. At lower levels, high dex characters with points in bows will have more attacks per round and a better THAC0 than melee fighters. You'll still probably need some melee, but characters such as Kivan or Coran (when you find them) are of incredible help.
masteraleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:30 PM   #3
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

thanks for the tip [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2004, 01:04 PM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Remember, TGTF, in this game you start at level one, things are guaranteed to be harder at first, though by level 7 nothing can stand in your way (save maybe the toughest of the tough)

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 01:20 PM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Or Cloudkill... That's another reason this game is more difficult. In SoA and after you're more powerful, and you have more powerful enemies. But this doesn't average out, because you get spells like Zone of Sweet Air to help you out of situations that you'd otherwise have to tough out or avoid in BG.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 01:20 PM   #6
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yeah,even at level 2(FINALLY!!!!)the gnolls are dying in a few hits and with my armour and gauntlets they cant peirce my -2 AC.Its getting easyer already,except Khalid dies alot.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:45 PM   #7
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGodThatFailed:
Yeah,even at level 2(FINALLY!!!!)the gnolls are dying in a few hits and with my armour and gauntlets they cant peirce my -2 AC.Its getting easyer already,except Khalid dies alot.
What equipment is Khalid wearing (give his AC and thac0 as well), what's his HP, and what fighting tactics are you using with him?

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 02:16 PM   #8
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Yes, it`s definitly harder. Longer too.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 10:27 PM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

Yes, the game is definitely tougher, especially if you start in BG2 then move back to BG1. The key things different are hp and options. Like Illumina said, there are more spells available, more spell slots, more special abilities, etc. This gives you a lot more options in dealing with the enemy. Also, you have more hp. More hp = more cushion to make mistakes. At level one, you get very few options, and very few hp. Tactics become much more important. Oh, and random encounters are a killer (mainly because they start on all sides of you, so put your extremely weak mages right in danger), so bandit archers will eat your lunch if you get them in a random encounter.

Khalid should not be dying a lot, especially if your party is all using missile weapons. If you are not playing a tank, then give him all the best AC equipment and keep his wife right behind him to heal him (remember a subrule of less hp means more fragile tanks). The key for any tank at low levels is to have them have healing handy and plenty of missile support. If you are the tank, then keep him back as an archer, and he should be fine.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:10 AM   #10
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Ooh, I can only shudder to remember getting ambushed by gibberlings when I could only launch one magic missile each time I cast the one magic missile spell I had each day and it was already cast. I had to either run or reload.
And you can just forget about finding a decent mage robe beyond the Robe of the Archmagi after you save up for ages... Multi-mage parties were screwed. It's not like you had anything better than a Ring of Protection +1 until late in the game, anyway...

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote