Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2003, 02:04 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Please besure to provide a link back to the original article. It's not only a good idea but it is also Choc's Law!
Old 10-03-2003, 02:18 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Erm... excuse me if I'm assuming too much here, but I think this may be posted for my benefit. Just to let you know, I've gotten in the habit of NOT linking to nytimes.com because I got sick of people telling me they would have to register to read the articles. Which is why I began cut/pasting them in the first place. I try to always provide the citation.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:30 PM   #3
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Just to clear this up, either a citation or a link is what is required. This should clear up any chance of non-attribution. What is to be avoided is simply posting large tracts text without comment in the hope of provoking a response.

If you feel that a press article is interesting enough to be reproduced here, at least tell us why!

P.S. This is not directed at anyone in particular, so any passing paranoiacs should remain calm. ( I'll let you know when I'm really out to get you!)

[ 10-03-2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Mouse ]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Erm... excuse me if I'm assuming too much here, but I think this may be posted for my benefit. Just to let you know, I've gotten in the habit of NOT linking to nytimes.com because I got sick of people telling me they would have to register to read the articles. Which is why I began cut/pasting them in the first place. I try to always provide the citation.
Sorry TL, it's not directed at you. I hadn't noticed that you had stopped posting links [img]smile.gif[/img] I have noticed that alot of the newer posters to the Circular Discussions Current Events forum have been posting articles without links.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:31 PM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

A bit [img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img] Isn`t that called "plagmarisem" or something like that?
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 03:42 PM   #6
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
A bit [img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img] Isn`t that called "plagmarisem" or something like that?
No, it's called providing an article without a source. If the poster had passed off the article as their own work then it would be plagiarism.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 03:47 PM   #7
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
No, it's called providing an article without a source. If the poster had passed off the article as their own work then it would be plagiarism. [/QUOTE]Ahh thanks for the explanation!
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 04:24 AM   #8
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Know what you mean - the Washington post also has this annoying 'feature' for many of its articles. Still, there is nothing stopping you from pasting the relevant extracts/articles and providing the link...
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote