Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2001, 03:35 PM   #1
andy the assasin
Manshoon

i have heard around that are these things that are called tomes that exist. The only i have heard is that you can find them for dexterity, e.t.c. and they boost the stat to 25? Is this true and if so is it permanent?

(please no spoilers, such as where they are, just tell me if they exist and if they are permanent)
andy the assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 03:42 PM   #2
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Yes they exist, yes they are permanent [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2001, 03:45 PM   #3
andy the assasin
Manshoon

What about the boosting your stat to 25 bit. True or not?
Old 12-07-2001, 03:52 PM   #4
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

No, there aren't enough of them for any particular attribute to do that if you start with the number of allowable points, even factoring in racial modifiers in character creation (eg, an elf can start with 19 dex, etc.). However with stats boosted from cleric spells and/or potions you can achieve 25 in some attributes temporarily.
Old 12-07-2001, 03:59 PM   #5
andy the assasin
Manshoon

does the increased stat bit carry over to Bg2 as well then?
Old 12-07-2001, 04:01 PM   #6
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

There is only one type of each tome EXCEPT for the tome of wisdom - IF you have TotSC it is actually possible to get THREE of these, thus potentially raising your wisdom to 21. But that is the only such situation.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 08:35 PM   #7
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

quote:
Originally posted by andy the assasin:
does the increased stat bit carry over to Bg2 as well then?

Yes, the increase in stats from tomes in BG1 does carry over into BG2. Come to think of it, if there are tomes in BG2 (haven't come across any yet but I'm only in chapter 2) then it might be possible to get close to 25.
Old 12-08-2001, 06:30 AM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Like they said, there's one Tome for each of the 6 stats, except for Wisdom. There are 2 Tomes of WIS, and there's also a third if you have ToSC. Yes, the raised stats will carry over into BG2, even if you've raised the stat higher than your race would normally allow (for instance, giving a Dwarf 18 Dexterity).

Each Tome will raise its corresponding stat by 1 point. Note: The Strength Tome is tricky. Say you have a Fighter with a STR of 100) and a Mage with a STR of a flat 18. If you had two Books of STR and had them each read one, they would be EQUALLY as strong--19.

As long as you go EVERYWHERE and do EVERYTHING in BG1, you'll find all 8 Tomes. You can't miss 'em--they don't look like the regular books, and they'll need to be Identified.

Some people run a character through BG1 6 times and boost all of their stats up to 25 by reading each book over & over. I say, if you want to cheat that much, stop dicking around and just use Gatekeeper, instead of pretending you're legit.