Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 03:33 AM   #141
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

To be fair Meg, while I agree with you on all your substantive points, the fact that someone disapproves of gay marriage and wants to deny rights to gays does not necessarily mean they have sex with their siblings.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:31 AM   #142
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
That post can be view as offensive to some, Dirty Meg, and you may want to edit it.
I will not amend my post because people who restrict other peoples right to enjoy themselves in a way which harms no one else are irredeemable vindictive halfwits. I will however apologise, as my post may appear to imply that all rural Americans are backwards and incestuous. Just to clarify, only those who oppose gay-marriage are. [/QUOTE]While I have no major problem with gay marriage myself, I disagree with the notion that the anti-gay marriage lobby are products of an incestious relationship. Is that some kind of psychological conclusion you've drawned yourself? "I hate gay marriage, ergo I want to make love with my sister". I don't see the connection.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:47 AM   #143
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

I briefly skimmed over that post so all I actually took in was the second half of the third sentence to which I would reply: go for it if thats the way you feel.

[ 06-08-2004, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Dirty Meg ]
Old 06-08-2004, 09:23 AM   #144
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Dirty Meg, I see the point has been made , but I'll make it clearer if needs be. Your post was in bad taste, if nothing else. If you approve of gay marriage it doesn't make you gay or a flaming pervert so why would disapproving make one automatically incestuous or the product of incest? That's generalizing because you dislike the ideas or attitudes of another group.

It's not your opinion that's in question, it's the way you expressed an absolute about people who disagree with it.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:37 AM   #145
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
I briefly skimmed over that post so all I actually took in was the second half of the third sentence to which I would reply: go for it if thats the way you feel.
That was just an example, of course, and doesn't represent my own opinions or desires.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:00 AM   #146
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

I would hope that it is obvious to anyone that the references to inbreeding were not intended seriously.
Perhaps my remarks were crass but being crass is infinitely preferable to restricting individual freedom based on petty-minded prejudices.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:09 AM   #147
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Dirty Meg, nobody is disagreeing with your right to a strong opinion, just temper the replies. Just keep in mind that other people think their opinions are equally as valid as yours and as long as both sides are respectful, a debate is healthy.

When one or the other gets so wrapped up in the argument that they can't maintain that respect, it can, and usually does, devolve into a flame fest with few redeeming qualities.

I'd much rather see civil debate and good discussions! It makes my job easier and it's good reading. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2004, 10:44 AM   #148
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Drat. I'll miss the inbreedin' -- it's funn.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:57 AM   #149
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I would hope that it is obvious to anyone that the references to inbreeding were not intended seriously.
Perhaps my remarks were crass but being crass is infinitely preferable to restricting individual freedom based on petty-minded prejudices.
Nobody's denying you a right to express your 2c mate, but be polite and be tactful when doing so. And don't make inflammatory things up (eg gay union banning and incest) to push your point. Use facts and use your debating skills to do so, eh?

I think that about covers it. Cheers mate. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2004, 11:29 AM   #150
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Nope. Not obvious to me. When pushed you clarified that you were of the opinion my parents were incestuous simply because I hold an opinion different to you.

I repeat, can this person be banned please?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Closed Thread