Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2002, 10:46 AM   #1
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

What are your opinions on Birds of Prey? I am uncertain...
--I personally would like to see Huntress in uniform, not in a trenchcoat.
--I don't accept the notions of Catwoman being dead, or ESPECIALLY Batman leaving town. They have mentioned the various Robins, including Jason and Tim. So if they mention Tim, that probably means Jason died, like in the comic. Batman didn't run away then, so why would he now?
--Why is it called NEW Gotham?
--If there has been Batman, Catwoman, at least 3 Robins and Batgirl, why does Barbara say that hardly anyone knew Batman even existed? That's stupid.
--Why are Helena and Barbara so close in age? This show must be in the very near future. For Barbara to be so young (and for Alfred to still be alive) then Helena must have been born during Bruce's first year or 2 as Batman.
--Why couldn't they just get it right and do a Batman series (probably because they want to do more movies... But a show would be better...)
--AND and I hate Helena being a "meta-human". Actually, they say she's 1/2 meta-human, which would make Catwoman fully meta-human, which she is not. Batman was cool because he was a normal man with no super powers, just skill, brains and lots of determination. Why do they have to make Helena super-powered? And don't get me started on the thing with her eyes changing colour, or the dumb panther roar.
Any thoughts, anyone?

[ 10-25-2002, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Arnabas ]
Old 10-25-2002, 10:53 AM   #2
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnabas:
What are your opinions on Birds of Prey? I am uncertain...
--I personally would like to see Huntress in uniform, not in a trenchcoat.
--I don't accept the notions of Catwoman being dead, or ESPECIALLY Batman leaving town. They have mentioned the various Robins, including Jason and Tim. So if they mention Tim, that probably means Jason died, like in the comic. Batman didn't run away then, so why would he now?
--Why is it called NEW Gotham?
--If there has been Batman, Catwoman, at least 3 Robins and Batgirl, why does Barbara say that hardly anyone knew Batman even existed? That's stupid.
--Why are Helena and Barbara so close in age? This show must be in the very near future. For Barbara to be so young (and for Alfred to still be alive) then Helena must have been born during Bruce's first year or 2 as Batman.
--Why couldn't they just get it right and do a Batman series (probably because they want to do more movies... But a show would be better...)
Any thoughts, anyone?
Erm...forgive the ignorant amongst us, but what, pray tell, is Birds of Prey? Inquiring minds want to know.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Nachtrafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 10:59 AM   #3
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Birds of Prey is a TV show based on a comic of the same name.
It features Barbara Gordon (formerly Batgirl, now Oracle), Helena Kyle aka the Huntress (daughter of Batman and Catwoman) and a girl named Dinah (who may be the daughter of Black Canary, but they haven't said yet).
Old 10-25-2002, 04:23 PM   #4
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Hmmm.
Guess no one else saw it.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:03 PM   #5
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

I've seen the show and thought it was pretty good. I agree with your points Arnabas. That is not the only discontinuity. The whole concept of "meta-humans" is one that I feel is necessary. Making the Huntress "meta" takes away from what made the "Batman Universe" special; namely normal people acheiving their native potential to defeat evil. In comics and movies the idea is constantly presented that good cannot defeat evil unless good has greater numbers or special powers/abilities. Batman was "normal" yet not only defeated evil but made evil fear him.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:35 PM   #6
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

I've seen it...I guess you missed my earlier attempt to start a thread.

The series bears little resemblence to the comic book. Huntress was no relation to either catwoman or batman (though I must confess I find the idea a rather cool one). Ashley Scott rocks as Huntress, her facial expressions are amazing, and I'm a Dina Meyer fan as well.

I agree the meta-human stuff isn't entirely necessary, I think the producers were looking for a way to go over-the-top with the SFX. Witness the great leaps Huntress is always taking across the rooftops.

As for Batman being an unknown, I thought it was implied that very few people knew much more than rumours about batman. They probably said he had "gone away" so that they could focus on the characters without having too many cameos with batman...

Dinah, the black canary in the BoP comic book, was the original black canary's daughter. I don't think that the Dinah in the series is destined to be a black canary clone...her "powers" are just too different. (Black Canary was basically a vigilante like batman that had a shrill canary cry)
Old 10-28-2002, 08:04 AM   #7
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Krustin, the one thing I would add is that the original Huntress (as introduced years before the BoP comic) WAS Batman's daughter, but I don't know if Catwoman was her mother. The original Huntress was a character on "Earth 2", but when DC wiped out all tha alternate Earths, they had to find a way to reintroduce the character into the "real" world. When they did, she was a totally different person. Only the name and the costume stayed the same. I remember reading an old comic where Huntress watched Batman die and it was revealed that he was Bruce Wayne. That was when she found out her dad was Batman.

[ 10-28-2002, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Arnabas ]
Old 10-28-2002, 04:02 PM   #8
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
Erm...forgive the ignorant amongst us, but what, pray tell, is Birds of Prey? Inquiring minds want to know.
I thought he was talking about the Wilbur Smith book of the same name [img]graemlins/confused2.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2002, 04:10 PM   #9
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I hear Wilbur Smith is pretty good. Used to sell a lot of his stuff when I worked in the bookstore.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:44 AM   #10
Kinslayer
Drow Warrior

According to the official website Huntress IS Batman and Catwoman's daughter

http://www.thewb.com/Shows/Show/0,7353,||1002~2,00.html

I do agree that they have taken quite a few liberties with the Batman setting though.
Kinslayer is offline   Reply With Quote