Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 04:20 PM   #1
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I ordinarily don't complain too much about Lappy-de-Muerte's performance, but for some reason, for the past week or so, my internet connections have gone to crap.

Before, I would get ping times around 50 ms...and now I'm getting ping times of 1200ms. That's OVER A SECOND! On a cable LAN! I'm really not sure what's going on, but I'm not too terribly keen on it.

Anyone know what may be causing the issue? Or has the University decided to drop my bandwidth to a tenth of what it normally is, without notifying me?

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
philip
Galvatron

You might want to try resetting your cable modem, that'll clean the cache. Or can't you access it easily?
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Well, I tried resetting my modem yesterday, and it did nothing---yet right after I posted this thread and tried to use Bittorrent, my ping times magically dropped back down to 50ish...

It all confuses me, because things don't tend to fix themselves...when something messes up, it usually continues to mess up. In less words, I think I still have the same problem, though I'm really not sure why it wasn't happening last night, or the night before.

Old 05-01-2005, 07:39 PM   #4
HERITIC
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
I ordinarily don't complain too much about Lappy-de-Muerte's performance, but for some reason, for the past week or so, my internet connections have gone to crap.

Before, I would get ping times around 50 ms...and now I'm getting ping times of 1200ms. That's OVER A SECOND! On a cable LAN! I'm really not sure what's going on, but I'm not too terribly keen on it.

Anyone know what may be causing the issue? Or has the University decided to drop my bandwidth to a tenth of what it normally is, without notifying me?
May sound stupid but how did ya find ya ping out

also type in run cmd then type in dos "ping google.com" it will show you yor speed and everything
Old 05-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Well, we're on the SuperJANET network at my university and my speeds vary wildly. Try in the middle of the night and see if its still a problem...
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:27 PM   #6
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Where are you pinging? From your PC to your modem or out to a website? Try tracert instead of ping. It gives the same info, but shows all the intermediate hops.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:43 PM   #7
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

What's the context on "tracert?" I've never heard of that command before.

I have been pinging yahoo. The large figure, incidentally, comes from www.pcpitstop.com , initially, but was later verified by me pinging yahoo.

Old 05-01-2005, 09:50 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

tracert ip address or URL. Gives you each computer along the way to your final destination, along with the ping time associated with it. It's slower than ping, but gives more information.

I use both... ping to see if I can get out, and tracert to see where I'm trying to get to. That helps narrow down if there's a problem in my network or somewhere beyond it.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote