Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I am currently doing the druid grove quest on one of my numerous characters, and have a tiny ethical dilemma. A part of me would like to take the evil plot course, as I have never taken it before, but some other part sort of wants to roleplay, at least a little bit, and really can't think of a reason for a Chaotic Evil takes-what-he-wants-if-he-thinks-he-can-get-away-with-it character to want to side with some insignifigant halfling.

If I poison the grove, the High Merchant of Trademeet, most non-merchant people (farmers, artisans, and so on) and all druids of the Sword Coast will hate me. I gain the favour of some short megalomanic merchant no one's ever heard about. Plus, he's probably just using me and might consider washing his hands from the whole ordeal, claiming he's never met me, and refusing to pay.

If I don't poison the growe, some halfling will hate me. I gain the favour of the High Merchant of Trademeet and the local druids will praise my good deeds. The High Merchant, I would say, is also much less likely to try to cheat me in any way than the hobbit.

Can anyone think of a justification for me to poison the grove? I can't.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
If Jahiera's in your party and complaining, you might want to give her something real to complain about. Petty roleplaying reasons like that can work.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

No Jaheira, but that works for Cernd too. Hmm. Destroying a druid grove just because I dislike one person. That sounds like fun.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #4
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Now, I hadn't expected this. Guildmistress Busya is in no way offended that I just killed a small bit of the earth itself. Good that someone appreciates my efforts.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:01 AM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The Druid Grove isn't exactly killed, it will just take many, many years to recover. Which might be exactly the kind of lesson you want to teach the surviving Druids: That's what happens when you let a Shadow Druid take over, use forbidden rituals to bind herself with the earth, and then get herself whacked, so that her death wounds Nature itself, and the healing process takes a long, long time.

Which, of course, is really nothing like how it actually went down, but hey, if the Bhaalspawn says that's what happened, then that's what happened.

[ 06-18-2006, 04:02 AM: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]
Old 06-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #6
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I didn't know you could poison it...

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

you only get the option if your main character is evil iirc
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:51 PM   #8
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Armen:
you only get the option if your main character is evil iirc
nope. it depends on reputation, not on alignement.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:12 AM   #9
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Poisoning the grove doesn't help the protagonist in the slightest. He doesn't get the favour of powerful people, he can't really expect a reward bigger than the one he gets for not poisoning it, and it isn't really much easier to do it that way. So the protagonist must either genuinely want to help the halfling, or really hate the druids.

So, the only people who would poison the grove are psychotic madmen (who are in it for the killing, not the money) and, interestingly, good people.