Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2002, 07:08 AM   #1
Odin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello, have gotten to durlag and I have entered the area through a "secret" door in the first room. I have coran as my thief, and he has 60 in find traps and 70 in open locks. So, I find the traps but I can not disarm them. Really annoying. Or have I got it wrong, is it not the lockpick skill that is used when you try to disarm a trap? How many points does he need to be at for it to work? This is a serious problem to me so please help...

Thanx.
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 11:52 AM   #2
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Right answer would be the button one left of stealth one . You should click it over red area once youŽll find the traps.

Imoen is my lady; IŽve never even thought of Coran.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:00 PM   #3
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

I've always assumed that the ability to remove traps is the same as the ability to detect them in the first place, i.e., once detected I've never had a problem being able to disarm them.

It sounds like you're only detecting them (they turn red) but not following through with disarming them, as NiceWorg suggested. Once the trap appears, activate the thieving button (the thief's mask that is also used to pick locks and cut purses). Then place the cursor over the trap and the cursor will take the shape of a wheel; click on the trap with the wheel and the trap will be disarmed.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:04 PM   #4
Validus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Try buying the potion of preceotion at the thief guild in Baldurs Gate if I recall it correctly. They should help you out just fine.
I believe these potions upped the percentage instead of changing it to the given percentage like the potions of master thievery do.

Outside of Durlags tower someone sells some stuff, I believe he has them too.....

Keep in mind that some traps cannot be removed. I believe you can reconize these traps with the fact that they will not diseapeer when you walk over it, and that they stay active. Or so I thought.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:42 PM   #5
Mossy
Dungeon Master

If it's the passageway with the four traps in it, those ones can't be disarmed. The only way to get rid of them is to set them off. However you don't have to use that passage, you can take the long way around.
Mossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 01:12 PM   #6
Odin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I do know how to disarm a trap, I just get the message, trap not disarmed when I try. Just to clarify things, first, I detect the trap and it goes red, then I click the button that you use for lockpick as well to try do disarm it. So, what does the lockpick or find trap skill need to be for me to be able to disarm the traps? The ones I am talking about is in a room before and in a library, lots of spiders there, a couple of boxes in the first room. Detects them, cant disarm them. In the library itself there are bookshelves, detect the trap, can disarm the thing. Really annoying. So, how high must the abilitiy be?
Old 03-07-2002, 03:57 PM   #7
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

I had never really thought about it before but it would make sense that find traps and remove traps are independent. You do click on a different button for each, and that button already has two distinct types of skills in it.

As people are saying, either the traps in question are unremoveable or your remove traps ability is too low for them. Use your tank to trip them and be prepared to heal him or her either by potion or spell, I guess. Or run over them with the boots of speed.
Old 03-07-2002, 04:35 PM   #8
Mossy
Dungeon Master

Most of the traps in Durlag's are over 50% if I remember right. The way disarm traps works is the trap difficulty is subtracted from your ability, a percentile roll is made and must be lower than your score. For example: a trap has a 50% disarm, your disarm is 70%, you have a 20% chance to disarm this trap (random number generator comes up 20 or less). Potions of perception give you an extra 20%.
Mossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 09:52 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

First off: Trying to take on Durlag's Tower with a Find/Disarm score of less than 100% was a mistake. It's all right, you'll recover, just don't do it again next time.

Like they've been saying, Potions of Perception will boost all your Thief skills by 20%. Potions of Master Thievery only affects Locks and Pockets. (It will raise them by 40%, not set them to 40%--that would suck.)

The manual/game is a little misleading: Pick Locks has nothing to do with Disarming Traps. I made that mistake once--had my Thief with the higher Traps score find the thing, then always got zapped when I told my Thief with the higher Locks score to Disarm it.

I must be playing a different version (or patch) than Mossy has--I do know of a corridor with 4 traps in it, but I have no trouble disarming 3 of them......it's the 4th one that doesn't even show up, and will roast your party. In my version, the only traps that turn red, but cannot be disarmed are in you-know-where. (If you've been there, you'll know.)

Remember this for all of Durlag's: TGIF--Thief Goes In First.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:19 AM   #10
Odin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ah, fekkers, that was bad news. 100 %? Hmm, I read somewhere that you needed over 60 % on lockpick and find traps before going to candlekeep at the end of bg1, have played through half of that I think, reverted to a saved game just before going to Candlekeep when Installing totsc. I have Coran as a fighter/thief, he is at 70 % for find trap I think, or is he 60 %? Probably 60 % now when I think about it. Getting him to 100 % now is probably not even possible with the xp cap in totsc. So, what do I do? I like him beeing good with the bow, that is why I worked with him...So, I am not going to revert to some really old save game and go with someone else instead...Grrr, this was NOT good. Thanx anyway, appreciate the help.