Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2003, 02:39 PM   #81
Maelakin
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Sorry Maelakin, but you are being hypocritical in your arguement.

Your belief in what is right or wrong is determining your views on this matter. You believe it is wrong to bring in theology into a social question. Yet this is your belief, and directly influencing your ideas.

You cannot, we cannot, I cannot, seperate the self from belief. Even attempting objectivity itself is reliant on the belief that pursuing objectivity is of value!! It contradicts itself.

Doctor, heal thyself.
While a person is always subjected to their personal opinions and beliefs, it IS possible for a person to set aside their subjective views and look at a situation with an objective outlook that takes into account the opinions and beliefs of others. You seem to think my stance in this is based upon something I believe, however my beliefs actually have a firm stance against suicide in all forms for all reasons, but I am able to understand that my opinion does not apply to the masses. As such, it would be hypocritical for me to not speak out in support of those believing suicide is ok. It is unfortunate that many people like you are blinded and fail to see this.
Maelakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 02:48 PM   #82
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Maelakin:
While a person is always subjected to their personal opinions and beliefs, it IS possible for a person to set aside their subjective views and look at a situation with an objective outlook that takes into account the opinions and beliefs of others. .
But that course of action requires that there is a belief in the merits of such a course of action!! Can't you see the contradiction? You're not going to take into account the opinions and beliefs of others if you don't believe that is a right or beneficial thing to do!!

Why can't you see this?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 03:56 PM   #83
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

This statement is false.

The problem with arguing metaphysical conceits, based always on intangible theoretical opposites, is you can always wrap the thing into a conundrum, as you have done Yorick.

I think you guys have spent a little too much time thinking about how you think about the topic and arguing about how you argue the topic. You have lost the topic and entered the "let's define the brains interaction with metaphysical conceits" la-la land. Aren't you dizzy yet?

Look, perhaps there is no determination that looking at something objectively is "good." Perhaps you would seek to look at things objectively, as well as subjectively, in order to balance yourself. Anyway, since objective/subjective, good/bad, right/wrong, death/life are all pairs of metaphysical conceits, you can always wrap the conundrum if you like.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:16 PM   #84
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Ladies and gentlemen, once again we have come to the point where a thread has descended into line-by-line personalised rebuttals of one posters views by another. Whilst I may be fun for the "rottweiler" style debaters here, it's decidedly offputting to outsiders.

Perhaps you might all consider that, if after a considered exchange of views, a respondant refuses to acknowledge or even respect the foundation of your position, it might be better to calmly and without personal rancour, leave the discussion.

Above all, remember, discussion is about a frank exchange of views hopefully leading to a better understanding of a topic. It's not about browbeating others or converting everyone to your viewpoint. If that's what floats your boat, get a soapbox and pick a street corner.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote