Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2003, 10:02 AM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

He issued a presidential order today to ban the importation and development of WoMD. This done today to coincide with the weapons inspectors' address to the UN SC.

Wow, he's really cooperating now! Maybe we can just ignore all the other stuff, since he's signed this piece of paper?
Old 02-14-2003, 10:08 AM   #2
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Wow, he's really cooperating now! Maybe we can just ignore all the other stuff, since he's signed this piece of paper?
Indeed, maybe you can. Do you want to?
Old 02-14-2003, 10:16 AM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Do I want to because he's signed this order?

Nope, but if he actually comes clean instead of offering excuses and lip service, I'm sure everyone would be willing to forget the past dozen years.

Coming clean is the issue, so it's the intent of the paperwork, not the paperwork itself that matters, as the 1991 cease fire agreement should point out.

[ 02-14-2003, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 02-14-2003, 10:18 AM   #4
The Hierophant

Certainly, Saddam can see the writing on the wall. He's a king (for all intents and purposes), not a guerilla. He has alot to lose. He's buying time. I would too.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:24 AM   #5
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

If he'd come clean, he could stay in power no matter how much he sucks. If the UN inspectors were saying, yes Iraq is doing all they can, they are disarming, they don't have new weapons which violate the resolutions, etc. then the US wouldn't have a leg to stand on. But Iraq isn't doing that, they're playing the same game they have been playing all along.

What I don't understand is why he won't cooperate? Is it just ego on his part, or is he afraid that submitting will degrade his hold over the country? Maybe he's afraid he'll be seen as weak, and proved a liar to his people, thereby losing his grip on the country.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:28 AM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Whatever. He's just got really good international relations advisors this time around. They were very good at pushing the envelope as absolutely far as it would go in their attempts to stall, hide, secret, and mask WoMD production attempts. He has played this game very well, and now shows his cagey ability to reverse everything right before the end-game scenario hits him on the head.

He'll wait 2 years, let things simmer down, and find another way to approach his goal.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:29 AM   #7
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

What I don't understand is why he won't cooperate? Is it just ego on his part, or is he afraid that submitting will degrade his hold over the country? Maybe he's afraid he'll be seen as weak, and proved a liar to his people, thereby losing his grip on the country.
Yes, probably something along those lines, which is perfectly understandable. He has made his rulership his life. The silly man wants to hold onto his power at all costs. He's a living folk-tale on the folly of ambition.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:59 AM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
He has made his rulership his life. The silly man wants to hold onto his power at all costs. He's a living folk-tale on the folly of ambition.
You're exactly right. At all costs is the scary part because it's doubtful he'll stop at evading the inspectors.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:11 AM   #9
skywalker
Banned User

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the UN Weapons Inspectors insisted that Saddam do this for compliance. I know it seems unlikely that he is being genuine, but that's what inspectors want.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:27 AM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Yes, it is required, but it's another in the series of "trickle down" compliance. [img]smile.gif[/img]