Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 03-19-2001, 05:59 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Ok, I'm been trying to identify this book for about a couple of years now (on and off). About ten years ago (when I was just entering high school) I read this book by either Ben Bova or Orson Scott Card (or could be anyone but for some reason their names come to mind). It's about this guy who travels back in time, to different time periods, ie one of the time periods was the Mongol invasion of Europe. He kind of plays a role in each time period he goes back in as he tries to find his way back to his own time. Does this sound familiar at all??? It's driving me crazy trying to find this book

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 11:10 AM   #2
Moiraine
Anubis

Wasn't the writer Poul Anderson ?

I am a BIG fan of time travel stuff (novels, movies, anything !), so if you know of some that I don't know, please, please, tell me !

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moiraine (edited 03-19-2001).]
Moiraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 12:11 PM   #3
Aurican
Elminster

I can't figure out what book you are looking for Memnoch, sorry.

Moiraine, the best time travel book I have ever read is Timeline by Michael Crichton.

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?
Aurican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 01:52 PM   #4
Moiraine
Anubis

Thank you Aurican ! I will read it as soon as I put my hand on it.

------------------
Old 03-20-2001, 05:22 AM   #5
Moiraine
Anubis

Memnoch ! You trumpet to us to come here, and you don't answer your own thread here !

------------------
Old 03-21-2001, 07:04 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Memnoch ! You trumpet to us to come here, and you don't answer your own thread here !

Sorry Moiraine, work Poul Anderson eh? I'll check it out at the bookstore tomorrow. Thanks everyone, it's good to get some traffic here. Timeline kicks ass, a bit hard to follow the technical stuff but still one of the most awesome books I've read.

------------------
Old 03-21-2001, 09:15 AM   #7
HenryMad
Welcomed New User

The title should be "The guardians of time" (or something like that: I've read the Italian translation) by Poul Anderson.
Anyway I'm quite sure it's the book you are referring to
HenryMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 11:10 PM   #8
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

The only books I've read that resembles this is a Feu et a Sang there was 6 books but It's in french, It's a series of book of a guy going back in time and trying to return to his own time.(I don't recall if one was the Mongol conquest) I recall in one was the french revelution and one was about the americain revolution. Released by a edition house called Fleuve noir
Strahd Von Zarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2001, 06:36 AM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Sorry Moiraine, work Poul Anderson eh? I'll check it out at the bookstore tomorrow. Thanks everyone, it's good to get some traffic here. Timeline kicks ass, a bit hard to follow the technical stuff but still one of the most awesome books I've read.
That could be it, but I'm not sure. I DO know the one you are talking about, though.. Not Orson Scott Card, I'm fairly sure... Darn...now I can't think!
Let me know if you find it?

Did you ever read Isaac Asimov's The End of Eternity ? If not, I recommend it. One of the first 'time travel' books I ever read. Good storyline.

Cloudy
Cloudbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2001, 10:07 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
That could be it, but I'm not sure. I DO know the one you are talking about, though.. Not Orson Scott Card, I'm fairly sure... Darn...now I can't think!
Let me know if you find it?

Did you ever read Isaac Asimov's The End of Eternity ? If not, I recommend it. One of the first 'time travel' books I ever read. Good storyline.

Cloudy
It's driving me insane Cloudy. I'm checking it out tomorrow to put myself out of my misery.

------------------