Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2003, 11:56 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I loaded both Morrowind and Tribunal without a hitch. Then I patched Tribunal. Next I end tasked such things as Realplayer, et. al. Then went to play Morrowind. As the screen loaded for the first time I noticed that there were lines forming and becoming more and more prominant flashing up and down throughout the screen. So I stopped the loading and decreased my hardware accelerator plus I decreased the the read ahead mode. Went back to play Morrowind and now when the screen comes up and I hit "Play" Windows keeps saying Morrowind has performed an illegal operation. Any ideas out there?

Here are my system specs:

Operating System: Windows 98SE

CPU: Pentium 3 1.2 GHZ

RAM: 512 Megs

Video Card: Brand new Asus V9280/TD GeForce 4 Ti4200 4X 128 DDR memory with the very latest driver

Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Gamer (not the 5.1). This is an older version of the X-Gamer but I have the latest driver as far as I know.

DirectX 8.1

Thanks.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 12:21 AM   #2
Albromor
Mephistopheles

This is a follow-up to my post. I went back and put my hardware acceleration and read ahead options to where they were before. Then I went ahead and end tasked on a number of items, but not all. And for some reason the game loaded from the beginning without a hitch. Weird. I even got to play a little up to where I chose my name, character, and class before calling it a night.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:45 AM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Just a hunch, but what kind of RAM exactly are you working with? DDR, SD, what? Also someone remind me which ram is faster. Heard they've been working on a new kind of RAM even faster than the fastest they have out on the market. Some kind of improvement on I think Serial but I'm not sure.

Oh yeah goin along with the whole tech issues line. Umm I have this strange issue with various characters getting stuck in the middle of objects. For example, there is now a full interactive bust, starting from the waist, of Trebonious Arturious setting on the stairs of the Mages guild in Vivec. A Redoran-ish looking guard in Maar Gan also stuck in stairs, and many Silt-Strider attendants stuck in their ramps. For about half of my game time I had to use the tcl code to talk to Trebonious, he was actually hidden within the stairs. Also at random the ground in Vivec will become 100% insubstantial and I go for a swim in what should be solid rock displacing the water I hit. It's worse when this "dimensional phasing" occurs indoors. Is there anything I can to about this? or am I stuck with it?

P.S. the people stuck in floors from the waist up reminds me of a really eerie episode of Star Trek: Next Generation. NO I AM NOT A TREKIE!! Any self-respecting trekie would never deny that, so you know its the truth.

P.P.S. Albromor if you have the funds I might suggest a faster processor. If you are majorly into gaming rather than business on your PC I'd suggest an AMD Athelon CPU rather than Pentium. Just my advice. I have 2.4 Ghz myself. It may be a Pentium, but that was my brothers fault. He picked the parts and put it together for me

[ 05-23-2003, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Firestormalpha ]

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 11:16 AM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Firestormalpha, again, thanks for the reply. As for your Intel 2.4 Pentium I take it is a Pentium 4. Well if it is I suggest you go to www.tomshardware.com and read on the new Intel 600 series of motherboards. What is most fascinating is how the architecture that is locked in your 2.4 CPU is suddenly freed up in this new chipset. And Tom's Hardware is one of the most respected in the market.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:43 AM   #5
Greystone
The Magister

OFF TOPIC

The architecture of existing chips is not unlocked by the new chipset. I believe you have to purchase a new processor with the architecture activated (has a different front bus speed) as well as a new chipset mobo that supports the new processor specifications. Based on what I read at Tom's Hardware and my favorite shopping site (www.newegg.com), these new chips are much faster overall (the 2.4 @ 200mhz fsb is slightly faster than the older 2.8 chips).

--Greystone
Greystone is offline   Reply With Quote