Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2001, 09:21 PM   #21
Talieson

Ladyzekke,

Yeap, I was in the military. Combat Engineer in the US Army. (actually in the reserve). I'll have to try Friedman. I don't think I've read anything by him. I have to admit that when I go into the bookstore, one of the things I look for is a THICK book. As expensive as one is now day, I want to get my moneys worth. That means I have probably passed over a lot of good arthors. I saw somewhere (your profile maybe that you live in VA. What do you do?
Old 01-21-2001, 10:44 PM   #22
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Talieson,

I understand about wanting to get your money's worth concerning books. Where I live they are up to $7.00 now! What??! C.S. Friendman's books are medium-large I would say. I noticed you mentioned Brian Lumley. If you read his books, one book I would highly recommend is Swan Song by Robert Maccammon. It is a fairly large book and my favorite horror type book. Although it is unique and not your normal "horror", it is more a futuristic possible realty/fantasy. Hard to explain, but still a great read! Yes, I'm in Virginia and work in Crystal City at a patent and trademark law firm. Been there for 11 years or so now. My boss is a retired Rear Admiral in the Navy. Before this job, I worked for two years at another Navy affiliated corporation. I have a great respect for our military, and as a citizen of the U.S., salute you for your courage! Unlike fantasy heroes like in games like BGII, you are truly one of our country's Knight in Shining Armor!
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 11:31 PM   #23
Magness
Quintesson

1. Regarding ladyzekke's comments regarding Talieson ... ditto!!!

2. I'm a big fan of David Weber. I've read and own every thing he's every published. Of course, I've also known him personally for 20 years. David Weber is primarily a sci-fi writer but has also written 2 fantasy novels.

3. I've also read Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Anne McCaffery, Asimov, and a few others.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 11:44 PM   #24
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

Let's see... Playboy, Penthouse, ... OOOPS! Just looking at pictures doesn't count, right? ;>}

Seriously, Tolkien (all of 'em about every 12-18 mos), James Michener, Dean Koontz, Leon Uris, Shakespeare (I was an English/History double major), John LeCarre, Alexander Dumas, only a little Anne Rice, haven't read Ray Bradbury for a while but used to love his stuff, TH White, Tom Clancy, Louis L'Amour (may the gods forgive me), Michael Chrichton, John Grisham, Scott Turow, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Mark Twain, Howard Fast, Terry Pratchett, Elmore Leonard, (Sir) Walter Scott, almost anything related to the US Civil War (I'm a CW buff), various histories (primarily US) and generally anything well written that makes one care about the characters or events of which it speaks.

"A good book is the best of friends, the same today and forever." - Martin F Tupper

Great poll, ladyzekke, thanks!
IdiotRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 12:05 AM   #25
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

BTW, glad you didn't ask for favorite book... impossible (like favorite song)... brain would melt... a few more:

AC Doyle (big Holmes fan), Aldous Huxley, Rudyard Kipling, EL Doctrow, Edna Ferber, Caleb Carr... ah, now you're making me want to shut this thing off and pick up a book...

"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die.
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."
Old 01-22-2001, 12:07 AM   #26
Ertai, Wizard Adept

Hey Melusine I dont want you to get angry at me but... Id prefer if dont call persons that think on suicide 'morons'. I know suicide often isnt the right way to solve problems, but there are persons that have a deppresive personality and might be offended (not me).

Well, about the language, im spanish. And about the name of the rose, maybe ill try it when i finish the book my mum bought yesterday: Karamazov brothers by F.Dostoyevski, one of my favorites (love crime & punish (?, translated directly form spanish)and its mad-depressing atmosphere). But this one (karamazov9 will take me some time, its 1100 pages.
Old 01-22-2001, 12:32 AM   #27
Talieson

I appreciate that guys, but it wasn't any big thing. Probably tougher on my wife than it was me. She had to worry all the time. I was in the same boat as the rest of my unit. Just did my job. Louis Lamor (I know thats not right), now there is a blast from the past. I
us to read one of his books in a night. I especially loved the Sackett series, they had somewhat of a local flavor. I am from and live in East Tennessee (Gods Country LOL).
I love Civil War stuff as well. Lots of ancestors on both sides. I have even tied my ancestry to RPGs by using one of there names.
Anyone ever been to a Scotish Highland Game?
Anyway I'm making a list of all these authors. The list is getting rather long. By the way has anyone been to J.V. Jones website. If not check it out. Especially BODGER & GRIFT. They are Hilirous!!! Night Guys!
Old 01-22-2001, 01:45 AM   #28
draconia

It has been a long time since I have sat down and read. There are so many authors that I enjoy but at the moment I cannot remember them except for Stephen King. Some of the ones named here sound familar. I hope to start taking more time to read when my 8 month old daughter is more content to play with her 2 brothers instead of trying to take everything out of my hands. I do want to read the Baldur's Gate books that I found and I was able to read a chapter from the book and it seems ok. Until then, I will keep in mind some of the books and authors mentioned here so when I am able to read again, I know where to start.
Old 01-22-2001, 02:34 AM   #29
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

Talieson: If you're a Civil War buff, and have not done so already, I HIGHLY recommend "The Killer Angels" by Michael Schaara. His son, Jeff, has written a few but I haven't read them yet. "The Killer Angels" is an historical novel about the battle of Gettysburg. Schaara retells the sad tale through the eyes of the principal participants on both sides. For anyone who thinks war is glorious, this is a "must read" as it personalizes the tragedy of war. Isn't it amazing that in time of war, no one has ever said, "God is on their side."

"What conceit of man to believe God would have interest in such barbaric custom."
Old 01-22-2001, 04:49 AM   #30
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

I'm not being negative
I just say there's a whole Forum about it
And the nicest thing about that forum is that not only people from BG2 join
but also people from the W&W and IWD forums
i just wanted to notest that
Rikard T'Aranaxz is offline   Reply With Quote