Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 10-31-2002, 03:03 AM   #1
esquire
The Magister

Ok I just made it to the first basement level (the one with the warders) and all the dead bodies scattered around ominously and this place is freaking me out!

I'll forgo extrapolating my phobia of doppelgangers, I know I will probably meet up with a bunch of them later on… It is these traps that is maddening! There are traps everywhere, what kind of paranoid masochistic nut was this durlag anyway? .... ok well I can sympathize with him for getting a little paranoid after he has to slaughter his entire family, but I still think he went a little overboard

Does my detect traps have to be at or above 100% to disarm some of these contraptions? Imoen (my main thief) has 80% detect right now and I wasn't able to disarm the row of traps by the warders (where the mustard slime is) are these traps un-disarmable? or is her ability not high enough. I have one potion of master thievery, but I was planning on saving it for an emergency later on. I tried to have Yeslick set off the traps after I cast protection from fire on him but he got caught in the cloudkill spell (he even had the boots of speed on). Any suggestions?
Old 10-31-2002, 06:51 AM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

It's a very good idea to stay away until your find traps reaches 100%. Even then there are some invisible traps you can't spot or disarm (there's at least one fireball trap I know of). It's also a good idea to explore the rest of the maps before you go to the tower, as some fights are quite hard, more so at lower levels. Finally, stock up on summon spells before you go in.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 07:13 AM   #3
Grungi
Banned User

forget even trying to disarm most of them, tank up one char who has the speed boots on with fire and lightning resistance to as much as they can get then run around every place you will be walking through setting off all the traps (might have to do some spots up to 12 times!) least that way you got control over who gets hit with it and you should take nominal damage (or in the case of the fire thing regenerate hitpoints when struck) but save those 4 traps for the kitchen for the fight with pride as you can get into the kitchen through the backway, you dont need to go straight through it (see my spoiler on beatin pride for those 4 traps)

and btw if you think that floor is hard just you wait for some of the other stuff coming up [img]smile.gif[/img]
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 08:02 AM   #4
Keraptisdm
Elminster

Keep searching for those traps, and seaching, and searching. You'll find more potions too. Try placing the boots of speed on another character. If they follow the base movement rates from Dungeons and Dragons, a dwarf's movement rate is less than an elf's or human's. So even with boots of speed, Yeslick's movement rate may not be enough to "Run Away". I was able to get Kivan to sprint through those when necessary.
And like Grungi said, wait to later. Heh. Durlag's Tower is a true dungeon crawl. No sprinting through it!
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 09:27 AM   #5
Grungi
Banned User

i didnt bother trying to disarm any of the traps on level 1 as most required a high skill and even with a high skill some didnt go off or couldnt be found (the higher levels in the tower are fine) and strangely on the lower levels of the tower i could disarm most of the traps with ease , it was only on the pride level i had problems. btw a good hint is in a place like that do everything with just one guy your tank preferably with speed boots on, you can outrun most things and hack things up at your leisure using small corridors to make the numbers more to your advantage plus you dont have to worry about your idiot mage always taking the long way round when your not looking so walking through 6 enemies or nasty traps (damn my stupid mage) makes it easier all round just using a single char to do the job, once you cleared most of the level bring the rest of the party for any tough fights that need doing, or lead enemies back to your party who can be waiting nicely in a preset position
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 10:46 AM   #6
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

Just an addend to those who posted earlier...Don't forget the cleric "Find Trap" spell
Old 10-31-2002, 10:48 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

????

Doesn't anybody use the level 2 Priest Spell, Find Traps?

ADD] ARRGGGHHHH!!!! My thunder has been stolen by Baggins! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 10-31-2002, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 11:25 AM   #8
Keraptisdm
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
????

Doesn't anybody use the level 2 Priest Spell, Find Traps?

ADD] ARRGGGHHHH!!!! My thunder has been stolen by Baggins! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Find Traps??!!?? You mean there are cleric spells other than healing? (Bangs head on desk. Jumps out window. Lands in a shrubbery. ) [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img]
j/k.
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 07:27 PM   #9
esquire
The Magister

Good suggestions all around [img]smile.gif[/img]

Do the shorter races really walk slower in bg? fascinating... my main character is a gnome illusionist

Since you mentioned there is a secret passage (actually I did discover a secret door in that first big corridor before my party got fried, so maybe this is the one you mean) I will try to use stealth and finesse before resorting to turning Kahlid into cannon fodder.

The cleric spell find traps, how long does it last, and does it actually work? I have never used it either!

[ 10-31-2002, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: esquire ]
Old 10-31-2002, 10:31 PM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The Priest Spell, Find Traps, is guaranteed to detect all traps within the caster's visual range. It works on the same principle of True Sight, only instead of dispelling invisibility and illusions, it reveals traps. The effect is not instantaneous, and will take about a round. Find Traps last for 3 turns, roughly about 3 minutes of our real-time.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote