Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 10-31-2002, 07:55 AM   #1
Keraptisdm
Elminster

I'm going to start a new game in Baldurs Gate! Hooray! I want to take this character through BG/TotSC and then export them into BG2-SoA/ToB. Thus, going the distance with the character. My question is, what class of character would you take to go the distance?
I exported my first Paladin into BG2-SoA and she's doing well, but I'm only in chapter 2.
Also, can a character from Dark Side of the Sword Coast (which will be a higher level than normal) be exported into BG2? I'm just wondering if the additional experience(over the TotSC cap) will not be recognized by BG2 at the start.

[ 10-31-2002, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Keraptisdm ]
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 09:24 AM   #2
Grungi
Banned User

is baldurs gate II along the same lines as bg I and when you export the char do you get the special abilities you gain each time one of those dream sequences comes up? if so you get two heals and some bosts anyway, so a good ole warrior would do the job, i never understand exporting things, cos surely it means i bring my overpowered uber warrior into a gameset designed to work a level 1 up from scratch? or does it compensate?
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 09:26 AM   #3
Gammit
Elminster

Since you initially used a fighter-type, I'd recommend using some sort of magic-user. Watching your character go from wimpy spell-caster to super wizard can be cool.

Yes, BG2 does have a set maximum amount of experience you can begin with. So, even with gaining extra from DSOTSC, you will be knocked back down to TOTSC maximum experience. In general, BG2 gives you the experience that your BG1 character had, up to a maximum limit. So, if you come in with BG1 experience only, you get that... if you had TOTSC and thus had "more" experience, you get that... Actually, as a word of precaution, I had trouble importing my character from DSOTSC into BG2. I may be the only one (hopefully), but just wanted to let you know.

Grungi: Yes, if you bring in your character from BG1, you will retain all of your Bhaalspawn powers. In fact, if you begin BG2 with a new character, you will be granted a set of bhaalspawn powers based on your alignment. As I said before about experience, BG2 will not let you come in as an uber-experienced maniac, so don't worry about that. I was created as a sequal to the first, and tends to level the playing field quite well.

[ 10-31-2002, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Gammit ]
Old 10-31-2002, 09:32 AM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

In BG2 you start at about lvl 8, which is roughly the same level you would be after finishing BG1 and TOTSC. From the powerplayer's point of view, doing BG1 first is only good for one particular metallic piece of clothing I won't go into now, as you'll lose all other items as well as every spell in your spellbook when you start BG2, and starting with a newly created character gets you slightly more experience than importing one that reached the TOTSC cap.
Of course, form the roleplayer's viewpoint, it's much more enjoyable to watch your level 1 character grow rather than just create two seperate ones.

So you don't have to worried about a character being carried over totally offsetting the game balace, unless you raise the cap beyond the of the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 10:43 AM   #5
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

My dear brother Keraptisdm...I can not say to you which character you should take because we are all wired a little different upstairs...However, after playing all sorts of different character types, I find myself having the most fun ever with my fighter/thief. I have been Elven rangers, Dwarven fighters, human mages and i even dabbled with a gnome illusionist, and a female cleric but my fighter/thief "Puppo Baggins" has been a blast to play.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:52 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Legolas, it is in the powergamer's desires to want the Tomes. Oh yes... the Tomes they will want. Only by playing through BG1, can you truly have a legitimate munchkin character in BG2.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 11:17 AM   #7
Keraptisdm
Elminster

I'm very much into the Role Playing of taking the character from 1st level to ??, rather than power gaming. Since I'm already taking a Paladin through, I thought something different would be fun. I have an old game with a Cleric that I could revive. Gosh Gammit, with the way I play, I don't think a mage could ever survive to second level. Wow! Anyone that started out as a mage and finished the game has my respect. Those buggers at Candlekeep in the Prologue that try to kill you - how would you get past them? I'm in awe.
And now Mr. Baggins has me thinking about multi-class....
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 02:43 PM   #8
Gammit
Elminster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legolas:
[QB]In BG2 you start at about lvl 8, which is roughly the same level you would be after finishing BG1 and TOTSC.

I don't believe that this is true. Bioware said that they were going to let characters begin at a specific level roughly as if you had completed BG1. If you had also completed TOTSC, then you could bring in the "extra" experience with you, up to a certain limit. This was to "reward you" for purchasing TOTSC. (information gathered from their website).
Old 11-01-2002, 03:49 AM   #9
Legolas
Jack Burton

Dundee, you're absolutely right
How could I have forgotten...

Gammit, from the sound of it that's pre-release promises [img]smile.gif[/img]
I've finished BG and TOTSC recently and took the capped character to BG2. I'm quite certain you get about the same amount of experience, but now I'll be sure to check again.

[ 11-01-2002, 05:22 AM: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 06:05 AM   #10
Grungi
Banned User

oh thats sneaky as hell dundee, you play through bg1 for the SOLE purpose of pushing your main chars stats high using those tomes, so that when he hits bg2 hes got stats he shouldnt, bah so sneaky i shoulda thought of it.

i removed the exp cap cos everyone was sitting on 160,000 odd and as i still had loads of quests to do at the time it only seemed right to reward them, so my level 10 thief wouldnt fit too well into bg2?
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote