Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2001, 05:09 PM   #1
Seyal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just a couple questions about the gameplay/systems in
the game.

1) How can a prevent being afflicted with negative status?
So many monsters so far always deliver negative status with
their hits. How can I make my party more resistant to them?

2) Will my Priest ever learn a resurrection spell?

3) Will my spellcasters ever gain more than 1 spell per level?

4) How high does Dex/Spd have to get to in order to get more than
1 attack and swings per attack. My Valkyrie FINALLY got 2 attacks
but her Speed and Dex are lower than about 6 other party
members, but she's the only one with 2 attacks.

And lastly (for now) *Spoiler if you don't have this character yet*

5) Why the heck did Myles fight so dang well when he wasn't in
my party, but now that I recruited him, he's worse than the
Rogue already in my party??
Seyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 09:30 AM   #2
Virgil
Dungeon Master

1) There is a spell called magic screen that makes it more difficult for spells to attack you. I don't know if this affects breath weapon affects. I kind of doubt it. With 100 piety, characters gain the Iron Will skill, which gives them resistance to all kinds of things.

2) I don't have a character that high yet, but I think so.

3) I think you only get one spell per level. You can save them up if you don't like your current choice of spells. This can be useful at low levels, since you'll find books for many low level spells.

4) The multiple attacks is related to weapon skill more than speed. Once weapon skill gets over 50, characters start to get additional attacks. I know there are other factors, though. I just started a new game, and my samurai got two attacks in one fight, and her weapon skill is no where near fifty.

5) Could it be your party formation. Myles default position is way in the back row, so he will only be able to attack with ranged weapons. You can rearrange your party formation to move him to the front lines and he might be more effective. Rogues can be effective fighters in this game. With his stealth, they are hard to hit, and they do extra damage due to backstabbing all the time.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 09:33 AM   #3
MaskedFrog
Drow Warrior

1) Not sure but maybe it has to do with your resistance to a given spell realm that has that effect.

2) Do not have manual to look at now but it is where I would start.

3) I am level 8 and 9 and I have only received 1 spell per level. You can save these picks for later levels and just buy or acquire (shoplift) books of spells.

4) Number of attacks is a function of speed, dex, and weapon skill. I do not know the exact formula but I have heard that with a single weapon you need a minimum of a 50 skill to get the second attack.

5) I find that particular NPC in question to work well for me. You should check to see how he is equipped compared to your character.

Masked Frog
MaskedFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 09:42 AM   #4
MagiK

For those baddies (and there are a LOT of them) that spit poison or shoot missiles at you nothng beats the "Missile Shield" spell [img]smile.gif[/img] cast it often [img]smile.gif[/img] Magic screen helps against magik based attacks....but missile shield is waaaay more important in the early game.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:21 AM   #5
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Seyal,

4) How high does Dex/Spd have to get to in order to get more than
1 attack and swings per attack. My Valkyrie FINALLY got 2 attacks
but her Speed and Dex are lower than about 6 other party
members, but she's the only one with 2 attacks.

I'm still not 100% about this, but part of is having 50 in a particular weapon skill to get 2 attacks per round. Getting your weapon skill higher doesn't seem to help beyond that, but I may be wrong. Also, your ranged or close combat skill plays a role in this, to what end I'm not exactly sure. However, to get more strikes, you need to have dexterity, speed and a high inititiave. I also imagine some of the higher skills (Snakespeed, etc) will also help you get more strikes.

I have a level 11 Fighter who was doing 2 attacks with only one strike each. When I gave him the Diamond Epee (+4 Init, +3 to hit), he started doing 2 strikes. So, weapons with magical bonuses will help tremendously as they give the character bonus attacks.

I'm also thinking that it may all be based on the "to hit" and your weapon rating, which is affected by all the mentioned statistics. I'm eagerly awaiting one of the desingers to set me straight on this! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Some characters get bonus strikes in battle, like the Samurai's Lightning Strike skill, which will do 4 strikes if they call on that power. Its pretty cool to watch. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Best,

Scronan
Old 11-29-2001, 12:43 PM   #6
Seyal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the replies.

I believe my Valkyrie has her polearm skill at 53 (don't have the game on at the moment to check) and I'm sure her close combat is pretty high too.

Yeah, I've seen the samurai's lightning strike. [img]smile.gif[/img] It is awesome to watch! How can I make my samurai girl use it more often? Is it the senses attribute along with speed?

As for Myles, he's using 2 daggers and a bow for his weapons and is in the left position in my formation. What I mean about him though is that he was getting 2x attacks almost ALL the time he attacked we he wasn't in my party but helping fight monsters that attacked me. He also hit MUCH harder. When I recruited him for my party, his skill ratings looked rather mediocre and his fighting was as well. Now he's decent, but still not as good as my rogue in terms of combat. Trust me, I know rogues can fight really well (which is why she makes Myles look pretty bad). Mine is in the front slot in the formation since my Valkyrie has a polearm.

Thanks for the tip about missile shield. I didn't think it would work as I thought things like spitting noxious goo and spider webs would be considered breath weapons.

I didn't think about saving up spell picks, but there's already a lot of spells I wish I could get That has to be the one thing I don't like about this game. I wish spell learned per level were based of int/piety/senses depending on which was dominate for that character's spellbook.
Seyal is offline   Reply With Quote