Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2002, 10:42 PM   #1
Duneswalker
Dungeon Master

Hi All,

I plan to play an Ironman game, I think thats a great option, being an old school, hardcore D&D fanatic I was never a fan of the "reload to achive desired result" type of gameplay. (I may copy off the savegame once in a while in case of 'accident')

My party thus far (I think),

Lord
Samuria
Fighter
Gadgeteer
Bishop

I'm really stuck on number six, I'm torn between a Ranger and a second bishop or spellcaster, or some type of priest, priest/valkyie, or priest bishop dual combo.

I'm trying to maintain, in my mind at least a certain role playing element, and I'm not a powergamer, but I want a shot in Ironman.

For roleplaying reasons,I favor,
Keeping the Lord, he's my paladin from p&p D&D, I know some say he sux
No stealing/pickpockets or Rogues, honor and all that
Bard/Ninja/Monk, are not really my style

So what should I do ranger or second spellcaster (or other)?

Please help, Thanks.
Duneswalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:54 AM   #2
Oruboris

In my opinion, you won't regret either a ranger [you may want to make him a mook so he can have a giant sword, extended attack range] or a second bishop.

The ranger's auto search is very handy, and their ability to kill from a distance very nice. A second bishop would be good, as well, or even a pure alchemist: the money these guys can generate will allow you to buy pretty much anything you want. You actually have to be careful NOT to exceed the million gold, or you'll reset the counter.

Since your lord and sam have divine and wiz covered, they will be able to do all your buffing after [about] level 12 [not real sure when they can learn missle and magic shields, enchanted and armor-- no doubt someone will fill us in], so if you go with the ranger, I'd probably concentrate the bishop on Divine, Alchemy and Wiz skills first. There are some nice psionic spells, but they aren't as crucial.

Would honestly reccomend a test party first if you are going iron man.

Oh, another option if you are devoted to ironman would be a valk instead of the fighter. Her cheat death ability is cool, and she can carry the bulk of your res. powders, bringing back the casulties after a fight. My valks hardly ever die.

Be sure and get the Bloodlust sword early, and give it to a character who doesn't normally get the beserk attack. The extra swings seem to get you more sword skill boosts.

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:56 AM   #3
otter
Elminster

Ranger sounds good to me. If you don't already have a Mook, they make good ones, and Someone has to wield a Giant's Sword!!! Your Gad'll be able to make 3X-xbows, that's quite a treat, too.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 07:19 AM   #4
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Since it's your first time through, I'd go with the Ranger for the auto-scouting. You could look at the Valkyrie as a paladin type, albeit female, they are better than Lords IMO.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:28 AM   #5
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Not thinking about roleplaying, I think a valkyrie is better too. The cheat death ability and extended reach with polearm is way better IMO.

Since this is first time you play, I recommend ranger too. But you will have an easier time with another spell caster IMO.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:22 AM   #6
Rhea
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Duneswalker:
My party thus far (I think),

Lord
Samuria
Fighter
Gadgeteer
Bishop

Please help, Thanks.
Why not do a Ranger and pick up Vi in Arnika, for the best of both worlds? I think in a larger party it always helps to have someone besides the gadgeteer with a really good ranged attack (and remember the gadgeteer takes time to develop).

By the time you get to the places where Vi won't go, it shouldn't matter, because your party will be strong enough to do without her.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 11:42 AM   #7
Duneswalker
Dungeon Master

A ranger it is then, thank you for the info!
Duneswalker is offline   Reply With Quote