Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-16-2003, 02:00 AM   #11
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

actually the levitation trick was also because of the angle, light and some other factors that made him levitate (saw that from one of his tv interview i think).. but its still cool

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-16-2003, 02:19 AM   #12
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
he sealed himself in a see through box over a town in england for a period of like 40 days, from what I remember. i heard people were throwing stuff at him and stuff, thats pretty funny. I'de toss an egg at him.
The, uh, "town" in question is only London, inner London population 6 million all together population 15 million.

Just a town, obviously.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:56 AM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
he sealed himself in a see through box over a town in england for a period of like 40 days, from what I remember. i heard people were throwing stuff at him and stuff, thats pretty funny. I'de toss an egg at him.
This is what he's had to put up with:

Quote:
David Blaine is suffering even more for his art - thanks to a burger van parked near his perspex box on the Thames.The illusionist - who has vowed to go 44 days without food - has complained that the smell of onions is driving him mad. Blaine has suffered various torments since he started his ordeal last Friday.

Eggs have been thrown at his box, golf balls have been struck at him, bottles have been thrown and two women bared their breasts. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

Blaine's girlfriend Manon von Gerkan cleaned up his box after the last egg attack.

She said: "I find it quite bizarre that people have found it necessary to throw eggs and other things at David."

Blaine is trying to survive by going into a meditative state.

But one man kept him awake with an Indian drum until he was made to stop by noise department officials.

Old 09-16-2003, 05:56 AM   #14
Donut
Jack Burton

And the latest:

Protesters today tried to attack the cage holding illusionist David Blaine next to the Thames.

In a dramatic raid just before 5am a man scaled a scaffold support tower which is connected to Blaine's perspex cage. Two accomplices had diverted security guards. The protester then tried to cut through the cable supplying water to the illusionist who is in the 10th day of his 44-day endurance challenge.

He also grabbed at other supporting cables and shouted abuse at the shocked magician who was woken by the disturbance. During the security breach the protester shouted: "Go home David, go back to America. We don't want you here, I'm going to rock you."

On the ground, the incident caused frantic scenes as security guards shone a torch in the man's face and tried to persuade him to come down.

Police cars arrived at the scene, as did two ambulances and a pair of fire engines along with a hydraulic ladder.

Today, police said they had arrested the man and were trying to trace his accomplices.

A police spokesman said: "We were called at 4.45am to a man who had climbed onto the water tower near Blaine's box. The Fire Brigade and ourselves were monitoring the situation.

"The man threw water bottles and other objects from the tower and tried to cut through the cord connected to the tower but without success. He came down of his own accord at 5.18am. A man in his forties was arrested for criminal damage and was taken to a south London police station."

The attacker and his accomplices arrived in a white van in a nearby street and while two of them distracted guards, the third used a ladder to scale a fence and make his way towards the water tower.

The repeated tugging of vital mooring ropes caused 30-year-old Blaine's makeshift home to swing violently.

The incident is the most dramatic attempt yet to disrupt Blaine's record attempt. Since he began his stunt he has suffered a barrage of abuse and mockery from people unimpressed by his self-imposed isolation.

Eggs have been thrown and he has been subjected to taunts. Other people have bared their breasts or bottoms, while at one stage he was even the target of a golf ball hit from Tower Bridge. Drums have been used to keep him awake at night and a magazine hired a helicopter to suspend a burger above his box in a move designed to increase his hunger pangs.

But others have been more welcoming, with one member of the audience playing chess on the ground while Blaine relayed his moves to him, and dozens gathering every day to shout their encouragement and pin good luck messages to the security fence.

Today's outburst provoked a groundswell of sympathy for the illusionist from worried onlookers who hurled a volley of abuse at the attacker.

However, a small faction of the crowd encouraged the protester but were quickly silenced by security guards. As yet there is no explanation for how the man, who is thought to have been in his thirties and was dressed in a striped white T-shirt and jeans, managed to reach the scaffolding tower.

Blaine's has 34 days to go until he can leave his cell where he only has a diary and a basic water supply for company.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 09-16-2003, 06:00 AM   #15
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

If he succeeds in doing this, I can safely say I will be far more impressed that he had the ironskin to endure all this meaningless abuse against him. Crikey... he's not exactly mooning the Queen. Let him be.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:14 AM   #16
Marikai
Dungeon Master

WEll i cant say i've heard of this dare. But it seems hes still trying to outclass many magicans once again. -_-... when will they learn.

And Dundee Slaytern; "Crikey" O_o sounds vaguely familiar...

~Marikai
[img]\"http://members.lycos.co.uk/arkana/phpBB2/images/avatars/178988289141833a89f34ac.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />Why am I trying to give, <br />when no one gives me a try, <br />Why am I dying to live, <br />if I\'m just living to die?
Old 09-16-2003, 08:02 AM   #17
HammerHead
Zhentarim Guard

I think Blaine is a decent magician and if he doesn't claim to have any paranormal powers (like Uri Geller), I have no problem with him.

C
Old 09-16-2003, 10:38 AM   #18
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

A lot of peopel are evil to him. How would they like it if they were in a box and I cut off their water and waved a burger in their faces?

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Old 09-16-2003, 11:06 AM   #19
Grendal
Manshoon

Jeeze the guy is a magician and he pulls some pretty crazy stunts, why are ppl so irate with him? He is also the one that spent, what? 72 hours standing at the top of a 50 ft pillar in times square, where the top of the piller was about 18" across! If he can do something like that and not pass out and fall to his death...more power to him!
Old 09-16-2003, 11:21 AM   #20
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

One fact to consider, however, is that he is a master illusionist. Personally, since many of his other tricks involve tricking you by deception, I think there has to be some kind of deceptive trick involved with this. I do agree, though, that people should just leave him alone. He can do what he wants, he shouldn't have to suffer abuse...that must feel terrible.