Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-18-2003, 07:03 PM   #21
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, i have a tendency of stepping on a lot of toes with some of the things i say, be it by accident or on purpose, but i'm no different in real life. I usually say what i feel or think. In real life it has cost me dearly, i've been expelled from 3 different schools, and fired from 2 jobs in the past, but i refuse to suck up if i don't agree with my employer or a teacher. I've never been banned from any board though.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:05 PM   #22
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:

There is only so much you can convey via typing, IMO. It never brings across the 100% true 'you'. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I think that's true to a certain extent. For example, I don't post a lot - partly because I don't like to get involved in heated debates, partly because I have some sort of automatic nonspamming reflex ( ), and partly because I'm shy. People probably don't know that those are the reasons I don't post a lot (if they notice at all ) - they could think I was not interested, no time, that I don't have an opinion. However in real life it's hard to read people who are quiet as well. Shy people are often mistaken for being snobs or not being interested in taking part in discussions or activities. For people who get out there are post alot, it's easier to understand them and get to know them - similarly in real life. If people are being true to themselves online, I think you can get as good an idea about who they are than in real life. I have uni friends who I don't know terribly well in real life - because we haven't hung around enough in a non-uni setting, and because I haven't known them that long.

I think it mainly comes down to time and opportunity - if you spend enough time and discuss enough stuff, I think you can get almost as good an impression of a person online as offline. The only thing you don't really get a handle on are mannerisms and so on. But they can be misleading when you see them as well.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:08 PM   #23
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
originally posted by Aelia Jusa

and partly because I'm shy
Yeah right...
Old 09-18-2003, 07:09 PM   #24
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
I'm not entirely the same. I'm much easier to get along with off line. I know some might find that hard to imagine, but I don't communicate well unless I can see who I'm talking to.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 09-18-2003, 07:13 PM   #25
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
Well, I'm much more controlled, and much less rude on here for one thing....
The exact opposite to me! Interesting.... heh [/QUOTE]Its mostly due to the fact that my schools new princible is being a *$#@! and I have to get up too early [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2003, 07:42 PM   #26
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I'm pretty much the same on the net as I am in real life, the net just helps open up my personality a bit more.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:05 PM   #27
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I am actually an old woman of 87 years and like to pretend that I am a stripling hunk of a guy. It is the only way I feel alive anymore.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:09 PM   #28
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I am actually an old woman of 87 years and like to pretend that I am a stripling hunk of a guy. It is the only way I feel alive anymore.
So those people on the photos page are your kids and the little girl is your great grand-daughter or something? I always love it when people are almost as much of a smartass as me
Although some people get smart-assed when they don't understand the original question and hope to disguise that fact [img]tongue.gif[/img] *notices Larry looking around for andrewas for another of his explanations* [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 09-18-2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 09-18-2003, 08:31 PM   #29
Grendal
Manshoon

I am definately different on here. I find I mouth off more and tend to be more arguementitive than in real life. I am really not good with confrontation so at home I pretty much keep my sh*t to myself. It also helps that nobody here knows me from a hole in the ground!
Old 09-18-2003, 08:39 PM   #30
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

hehe...You got me, V.