Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #21
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: How has the economy affected you, if at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
Why did you decide to go back to College?

oh, and if get in at Snap-on, I want deals!!

You know, it seems like the little carpenter/plumbing/etc guys are always busy. I'm doing some renos for one of the regional ministers (gratis). He was trying to get some people in there to see about enlarging his shower stall. They're too dang busy!
I decided to return to college for a couple of reasons. I need a job that offers security and good health benefits. The two careers that seem to have a high enough demand for the security and also come with group benefits were nursing and teaching. I've spent enough time in hospitals already. A career in Nursing doesn't appeal to me. Teaching, on the other hand, is something I've considered for several years, but could never pursue when I was married because it required going back to college.

Now that I am single and only semi-employed, it seemed to be the perfect time to pursue the career in teaching. I began by taking the Effective Teaching class required for becoming a substitute teacher, then contacted my alma mater to see what classes I would need to qualify for my teacher certification. With my BS in Finance and Marketing, I only needed 6 additional classes plus 1 semester of student teaching to meet the requirements. Teaching is something I have a passion for. It is also relatively unaffected by economic downturns, because we will always need teachers and there seems to be an especially high demand for math teachers, which is the subject I am pursuing.

Finally, I feel that this is where God is leading me to be.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #22
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
oh, and if get in at Snap-on, I want deals!!
My uncle is one of the engineers at their plant and I know the HR Manager very well also.

If things go down the drain with Staples, I'll be glad to give the HR Manager your name, though I don't know if they have a need in that area or not. Still, you never know till you ask.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #23
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
My uncle is one of the engineers at their plant and I know the HR Manager very well also.

If things go down the drain with Staples, I'll be glad to give the HR Manager your name, though I don't know if they have a need in that area or not. Still, you never know till you ask.
That's a generous offer!

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #24
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Thumbs Up Re: How has the economy affected you, if at all?

Well if it doesn't pick up I am sure it will affect my bonus next year. I still got my nice bonus for last year and the usual raise. Other than that the only thing affected is we have less work lunches, and no meetings around lunch time to avoid having to pay for food. Damn I am starving! LOL
So it really hasn't affected me too much. However I do have neighbors who have lost jobs so I know there is a dark cloud looming around affecting people. But I am not naive it could easily affect me just been lucky so far. Luck affects everything.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:04 AM   #25
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

One daughter got laid off last week, another daughter started a new job this week after looking for several months. Last daughter and my wife both got raises recently. My workplace had 2 rounds of layoffs early this year and overtime is done for at least into June. The only real hit that I have taken is that my 401K has tanked by over 1/3.
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #26
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post

One opportunity that does exist is the local Snap-On plant. Our facility is actually the corporate HQ, so they are doing OK. I've seriously considered just getting a line job there.
Is there a limit on number of tools purchased with an employee discount? Can you say eBay store?

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #27
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
It has stopped our plans to go to London to work for a couple of years (im an accountant, wife is a banker).

We are going to Perth in Aussie instead - went there for a week to check it out and both got jobs (and payrises!) so it isnt too bad for us.
Your going to have to leave that accent behind!

Hey that's great news, when are you coming across the ditch to start work?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #28
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I worked at a rather low end retail job, when I say low end, I mean when I got hired on, that's where I was staying, no ladder climbing for me.

I was with them for several months, then after the holidays, something happened. The company fired two managers from each and every store nation wide, and our manager brought every employee into the office individually and told us this, basically,

"Sign this piece of paper agreeing to work with us for no benefits, no vacation time, no sick leave and for a amount of 20 hours per week (I was originally full time), if you don't, you're fired."

At first, I asked him, "Wow, the company really hitting the crapper isn't it?"

His response? "No, we're doing really well actually, this is for economic reasons."

I stayed on, because, well, not much of a choice. Where I lived, there were no jobs, and all jobs there were were for little teenie boppers, nothing you could do much with. I hit the wall, and then I blew out my leg, so I hit a really bad turning point.

My dad gave me a call and said, "I heard what happened, why don't you come live with me for awhile, get back on your feet and take things easy for awhile?"

It's been nice, I don't have to work myself stupid now like I had to, work 2-3 weeks straight just to catch up in bills. I went in to talk to the manager about everything afterward, and one of them stopped me, one of those people that think all low level retail workers need to be devoted utterly to their job, "You quit? Did you put in your notice?"

"Yeah, you notice I'm no longer here."

Thankfully though, I've been hired on as a lighting technician, makes really good money now and we work long days, about 11-12 hours, but totally worth it.

Last edited by Gangrell; 03-26-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #29
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrell View Post

"Sign this piece of paper agreeing to work with us for no benefits, no vacation time, no sick leave and for a amount of 20 hours per week (I was originally full time), if you don't, you're fired."

At first, I asked him, "Wow, the company really hitting the crapper isn't it?"

His response? "No, we're doing really well actually, this is for economic reasons."
Is this legal? I am so happy you have found a new job Gangrell rather than put up with that crap.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #30
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellard View Post
Is this legal? I am so happy you have found a new job Gangrell rather than put up with that crap.
I've heard several people ask the same thing, although, technically as it is 'legal', it's more of a loophole. Something along the lines of, "Yes, we agreed on said amount of hours when you were hired, but since the company has reconstructed itself, that is also altered" or some BS.

I appreciate it wellard, words to the wise kids, don't do drugs or retail jobs.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote