Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 09-11-2003, 07:24 PM   #1
Grendal
Manshoon

Again Im wishing there was a comprehensive monster guide out there. Assuming this is a D&D based game...would it be of any value to me or any other player for that matter, to buy the D&D Monster manual? I would assume the stats for all monsters in BG would be the same as the P&P game? Frikin Vampires and their level drains are pissin me off!
Old 09-11-2003, 07:40 PM   #2
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

I hope you realise that that can easily run you more than what the game costs. Sourcebooks are expensive. I wouldn't advise you use them only for Baldur's Gate. If you're going to play AD&D anyway, great, but otherwise, just look up posts on the subject. Besides, many of the monsters are modified. Otherwise, it's killing a mosquito with a sledgehammer

As for vampires, go for the tested and true. Super-buff (TM) one character, give 'em some form of NPP, then use the rest to snipe and bombard from the back ranks, as Super-Buff (TM) serves as meat shield. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2003, 07:47 PM   #3
Faceman
Hathor

Well you can easily get any mosters stats (if you want that) by Ctrl+Q ing them into your party after a quicksave. The main problem is that SoA is a RPG. As such it acknowledges that not every monster is the same which is of course the purpose of the whole D&D level thing. Like a human lvl5 fighter differs from an elven lvl12 mage, a lvl 4 Ogrillon differs from lvl 7 Ogre Mage. While I'm pretty sure that most of the lesser monsters like goblins or kobolds have the same stats each the problem with the higher monsters is their personal touch in the therefore all too flexible AD&D world. Two same-leveled red Dragons will not be exactly alike like some NPCs have special abilities or like your PC has. Not even two Vampires will match in their stats be they the same level anyway.
So writing a comprehensive monster manual for BG2 is tough. Maybe the D&D manual can help you out for the basics but what weapons/spells/abilities a monster uses is nobody to tell.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:42 PM   #4
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

CTRL-J, then pressing Enter, will give you the current HP, as well as many other things.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:20 PM   #5
Seraph
Quintesson

Is something like this http://advancedkid.narod.ru/mm00000.htm what you were looking for?
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 02:24 PM   #6
Grendal
Manshoon

Thanks for the feedback guys! Seraph...wow..ya that pretty much covers it!