Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2003, 05:21 PM   #11
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
I found out the governor kicked in at about 140-145 mph, causing a power-down.
Sorry but I didn't get you [img]graemlins/confused2.gif[/img] What exactly does that mean (honestly).

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
But, let's not once again make the legislature impose more rules to protect us from each other. We can't legislate every single thing. Accidents will happen (there's a reason they're not called "on-purposes" y'know), and it's not our place to protect people from themselves. While I agree with the goal of getting teens into crappy cars, I think this idea wanders to far into nannyism for my support.
I don't think we want to compell kids to drive low power cars at least that's not what I want as I still am in my second driving year (made my licence kind of late) and I want to be able to drive a BMW I simply think it's wrong if a 16 year old drives a Lamborghini. It would be nice of there was appropriate legislature for that. NOT a prohibition on Lambirghinis for youngsters but requirement of better driving courses (for all of them not only Lamborghini drivers ), higher fines for extreme speeding and DUI. Re-schooling for people caught speeding or DUI in their first year (as we already have in Austria).
We do not need a lot of new laws. We simply need to enforce the existing ones better and coach the kids into abiding them.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:17 PM   #12
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

If you watch the ads on tv for new hot cars it always shows a young person driving down a winding 2 lane rd at about 65 mph.Thats a great way for young impressionable kids to think about driving,oh boy I can't wait till I'm 16 and can take dads beamer out for a spin.Oops sorry dad beamers gone and so is junior!
Old 09-11-2003, 06:26 PM   #13
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Well, I can personally say that putting in HP restrictions wouldn't work. I drive a 1993 Nissan Axxess with 130 HP, that can hit 130-140 no problem. As soon as I slam into a moderately fast car at that speed, I'd be dead. Luckily, I am not as bad a driver as my age group (I am 16) is made out to be.

I've been really annoyed recently, at how often I've seen police busting people for going 10-20 kph over the speed limit in residential zones, not totally stopping at stop signs, etc. I have almost been in extremely high speed crashes twice, neither of which was my fault (Calgary has some of the worst drivers ever) and yet never were there any police around to ticket these guys, one of whom was going at least 140 kphs, and who forced his way into an inappropriately sized space. I suspect that if there was more presence on major roadways, rather than residential sidestreets, which are often too short and curved to be used for racing, we would see much fewer accidents.

As for the cars...I don't think that it's necessarily the power of the car; in a few months, I will be purchasing an Eagle Talon TSI, which is a fast car: I feel perfectly confident and safe driving it. The problem is, many of the kids who have these cars' parents are totally inept at punishing them. They pay for the tickets, repair the car, even help the kid keep it off the record. The kid gets off (basically) scot-free, and is ready to do it again. My best friend goes to school with a kid who totalled a Grand Cherokee his first week driving, was given a Miata, totalled that within two months, and then was given a Jeep. What kind of message does that send to the kid? There are no consequences. 90% of these drivers would be warned off once they have to spend that McDonald's paycheck when they ran the red light. When people start parenting, kids will stop being so destructive.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:54 PM   #14
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
I've been really annoyed recently, at how often I've seen police busting people for going 10-20 kph over the speed limit in residential zones, not totally stopping at stop signs, etc. I have almost been in extremely high speed crashes twice, neither of which was my fault (Calgary has some of the worst drivers ever) and yet never were there any police around to ticket these guys, one of whom was going at least 140 kphs, and who forced his way into an inappropriately sized space. I suspect that if there was more presence on major roadways, rather than residential sidestreets, which are often too short and curved to be used for racing, we would see much fewer accidents.
That's basically because
+ it is harder to monitor an area where the culprit can speed at 200kmph than a zone where 70kmph would be speeding
+ the possibility of a speeder could killing innocent people or even children is severly higher in residential areas than on crossroad streets especially during the night.

It's that cynical: "Drive as fast as you want. Hit a tree. We don't care as long as you hit nobody else." In face speeding is legal (at least in Austria) on private property. If you got a big enough property you can take you car up to 200mph (if you got yourself a F40 or a Diablo ), nobody cares. You could go 100mph in your driveway if your driveway wasn't so damn small
The rules only apply once you hit the road and start endangering other drivers and pedestrians. But if you speed in a zone known to be rather deserted police won't go and catch you. They are there to protect the others from you not you from yourself.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:13 PM   #15
Grendal
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
As for the cars...I don't think that it's necessarily the power of the car; in a few months, I will be purchasing an Eagle Talon TSI, which is a fast car: I feel perfectly confident and safe driving it. The problem is, many of the kids who have these cars' parents are totally inept at punishing them. They pay for the tickets, repair the car, even help the kid keep it off the record. The kid gets off (basically) scot-free, and is ready to do it again. My best friend goes to school with a kid who totalled a Grand Cherokee his first week driving, was given a Miata, totalled that within two months, and then was given a Jeep. What kind of message does that send to the kid? There are no consequences. 90% of these drivers would be warned off once they have to spend that McDonald's paycheck when they ran the red light. When people start parenting, kids will stop being so destructive.
Well put True....Granted there are kids who are cautious and kids who arent. I think that one of the big problems specific to vancouver is the amount of disgustingly rich Asian kids out here. That and the fact that we dont have many straight roads around here! They kids are sent out here from Hong Kong by their parents to get an education, set up in a $300,000 condo and told to go out and buy whatever car they want. As long as they keep up the grades mom and dad will keep sending the money. I cant agree more with your last comments about parents. Thats where the teaching should begin.

[ 09-11-2003, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Grendal ]
Old 09-11-2003, 07:30 PM   #16
Animal
Gold Dragon

As an ex-RCMP officer here's my take on the subject.

Drinking and driving, whether it be teens or not is stupid. Alcohol reduces your reflexes and impairs you're judgement. You think you're superman and nothing can hurt you. WRONG!

ICBC's graduated driving program is a good idea, limiting new drivers in how and when they can operate a motor vehicle. It doesn't matter whether it's a $100,000 sports car or a $100 beater car, both can attain speeds which will kill, and unless the driver has been through extensive training, the handling of the sports car becomes irrelevant.

The biggest problem today is street racing. If you want to stop kids (or adults for that matter) from being killed, build a strip where people can race legally, with volunteers to do safety and equipment checks. I would gladly volunteer my time and knowledge to such a cause. Ensure each racer has mandatory safety equipment such as a properly mounted rollcage, fuel shut off valve, fire extinguish and a proper racing harness.

Speed kills plain and simple, whether it's 100, 150 or even higher it doesn't matter. Give people somewhere safe and supervised to race and the streets will be safer.

As for the drinking and driving, if you're stupid enough to drink and drive you deserve what you get, but the family you kill doesn't. Think about that the next time you feel like superman.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:19 PM   #17
Skunk
Banned User

I hate people that speed - I'd love to see an automatic ban for 5 years for anyone caught doing more than 15mph over the limit and I wouldn't complain if they raised the age before you can get a licence to 21 years too...
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote