Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2003, 03:40 AM   #11
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Signs of the End of the Age

Words of Jesus from Matthew 24

So when you see standing in the holy place 'the abomination that causes desolation,' spoken of through the prophet Daniel--let the reader understand-- then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.

Let no one on the roof of his house go down to take anything out of the house. Let no one in the field go back to get his cloak. How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath.

For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now--and never to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened.

and from Luke 21:

"When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city. For this is the time of punishment in fulfillment of all that has been written. How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people. They will fall by the sword and will be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."

He told them this parable: "Look at the fig tree and all the trees. When they sprout leaves, you can see for yourselves and know that summer is near. Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the kingdom of God is near.

[ 09-27-2003, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 07:30 AM   #12
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
quote:
Israel considers using Nukes
Maybe I'm just being stupid. But could someone please point out to me where in the article it says that Israel is considering using nuclear weapons? [/QUOTE]It doesn't - but considering the military might of Iran and the fact that it has such sophisticated weaponry that is more than capable of shooting down any attacking Israeli airplanes and can reach Israeli soil with its own missiles, it's more or less assumed that Israel would eventually have to resort to nuclear weapons in order to win the battle.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 02:23 PM   #13
Grendal
Manshoon

Yorick..Didnt we already have a conversation about religious solicitation? Now its not only on our front doors, its been quoted on our computers? Mythology is completely irrelivent to this thread.
Skunk...You sound like a tabloid with your assumptions on what, where and why a country will use nukes.
Timber...I quote.."Um.... they're making WMD, so let's hit them with our WMD!!!!!!!!!!!" Do you have any idea of what the cosequenses to this type of thinking is? Set off 2 or 3 nukes over there and you would have radioactive dust falling on your head within three weeks. Take a look at Chernoble(sp?) it is still dropping radio active material as far away as England! Study up on it you would be amazed at how far away from the plant the crap is landing!
Old 09-27-2003, 03:48 PM   #14
Skunk
Banned User

Grendal,
They're not my assumptions - I said that "it's more or less assumed " - I didn't say that *I* assumed. Please read the post before you criticise.

But *IF* Isreal were to attack Iran, *I* would assume that the first attempt would be via conventional weaponry. Having said that, *IF* such a strike occured, the ensuing war would severely threaten Israel's survival.

I would assume that the break-point for Israel would be when the first Iranian soldier sets foot on Israeli soil. At that point, the issue of whether Israel would consider using such weapons is a foregone conclusion. Afterall, no-one owns nuclear weapons just for show.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:11 AM   #15
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Grendall, I think the reasoning you mentioned ("let's both use our nukes") is the reason no nation will challenge a fellow nuclear power that way. It's a staring contest that always forces both to blink.

You watch. This is merely a preliminary set-up into forcing Iran to disclose (or, alternatively, discovering) that it has the nukes. It's inevitable. Just look at a map to see the dominoe effect. India discloses, then Pakistan, then N.Korea shoots some warheads on either side of Japan. All the nations in the region are slowly letting us know they have the bomb. Iran is soon to follow. As I predicted 5 years ago.

The question is should we create the press for them or should we force them into disclosing on their own?? They must of course disclose nuclear capability - it's a respect thing in the region and the world.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:13 PM   #16
Grendal
Manshoon

My apologies to the board if my remarks yesterday seemed arguementative. I caught a cold on friday and the kids were gettin on my nerves and I just was not in a good mood!
Old 09-28-2003, 07:11 PM   #17
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunk:
It doesn't - but considering the military might of Iran and the fact that it has such sophisticated weaponry that is more than capable of shooting down any attacking Israeli airplanes and can reach Israeli soil with its own missiles, it's more or less assumed that Israel would eventually have to resort to nuclear weapons in order to win the battle. [/QB]
Thats a pretty massive leap to make. Theres a huge difference between "we are considering strikes to eliminate a few specific targets" and "we are considering the use of nuclear weapons".

The Iraqi airforce in the 80's was able to basicly destroy Irans nuclear capabilites, so why would the infinatly more capable IAF not be able to do the job now?
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 06:23 AM   #18
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:

The Iraqi airforce in the 80's was able to basicly destroy Irans nuclear capabilites, so why would the infinatly more capable IAF not be able to do the job now?
Because Iran is infinately more capable of defending itself, perhaps?
At the end of the Iran-Iraq war, Iran changed its policy with regards to weapons purchases - as far as it was concerned, it no longer wished to buy yesterdays's technology from today's foreign powers. So it made a few more purchases of the most sophiscated items that other powers were willing to sell it - and then reversed engineered them to kick start its own weapons's research.

Today, Iran manufactures almost all of its own tech-based weapons (and not through lack of vendors either). For example, why would it need to buy anti-aicraft systems when its own locally manufactured Sayyad-2 not only matches the accuracy and speed of Patriot-2, but has a longer range?
Israeli aircraft are marginally superior to the Russian and Chinese aircraft that Iran is currently fielding - on the other hand, Iran's airforce dwarfs that of Israel - so there is an equal playoff.
Or look at Iranian tanks - they're all Russian and Chinese made - with the guts ripped out and replaced with Iranian technology...

And therein lies the heart of Israel's fears - Iran has become superior in terms of conventional weaponry; it is more than a match for Israel. So, as far as Israel is concerned, the only way that it can best Iran is via nuclear weapons - so it is very keen to ensure that Iran does not get hold of any.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:29 AM   #19
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
If Iran as much as farts in Israels general direction, it will be completely destroyed, and they know it. So don't give the idea too much thought.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:16 AM   #20
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
Ummm I think we did. When the US invoked it's right to attack Iraq under pre-emptive selfdefense, it opened a pandora's box. This is just the first of the fallout from that. If we can justify attacking Iraq based on the fact they may produce WMD's and sell em to terrorists, then Isreal can easily use the same model to justify a pre-emptive strike against an enemy that is much closer to home and much more likely to attack it.
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Exactly. Suddenly the Russian aggression in Chechnya is no longer frowned upon. No were not trying to invade, we're fighting terrorists. The same goes for India and Pakistan. And both those countries have nukes of their own.

Johnny, were Israel to nuke Iran, Israel wouldn't exist more than a week after that. No country would support them. I doubt even the US would have troubles supporting them after that... And Israel can't survive on it's own.