Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Anti-depressants and similar drugs - Good idea or bad idea?
Good 5 27.78%
Bad 8 44.44%
No opinion 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Sad Drugs

Basically... I have seen a counsellor, and she recommended I look into the possibility of taking anti-depressant drugs.
I'm not keen on this. I've only been on drugs for a long period of time a couple of times before, and then it was just a few months. I don't like the idea of a drug messing with my head. And from what I have seen of other people they do not work.
And this got me thinking. What do you guys think of anti-depressants and the likes? I would like to maybe get a more balanced view.

Cheers
DS

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Re: Drugs

I think you know the answer.

I would work toward getting all the negative out of your life, instead of adding anything to it.

Of course, it's not always easy, but look at what causes you to be hurt, upset, angry or whatever and see if you can take it out of your life.
No amount of blue hair, or piercings, or whatever, will make you feel better; at least, not for long. I would even go so far as to say, take out all the piercing, loose the blue hair and start with just you, and see how that fits. ..might be kinda cool!

Just my 2 Canadian cents,
Old 03-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'll take a Yes on this one, but only because my real choice isn't there - a qualified yes.

Medication helps address things, for sure. I was on blood pressure medication because mine was up there, and it helped. When I took care of the underlying causes (no exercise, bad diet, and an extra 62 pounds in various places on my body), the need for the med disappeared.

I'm no expert in depression and other similar challenges, but I *expect* that the role of meds is to alleviate things in light of an underlying cause. Just like that extra four stones or so I was carrying, combined with a lack of exercise, caused my heart to work harder. For a good three years, I did nothing else but take the meds. Worked just fine, but it cost me something every month.

When I started doing something about it, two months later (and only 25 pounds lighter, less than half of where I ended up), I was off meds.

I recently got back on BP meds, largely because I stopped paying attention to my diet and because I got sloppy about exercising. That lead to *intense* headaches, which revealed that my BP was back up. I'm focusing on those again, and within another month or two, should be able to get off the meds again.

Now, all of that is to get to what I *think* is a simple point, and one that may or may not be valid...

I propose that depression has an underlying cause (or two, or three...). IMHO, taking meds while dealing with the underlying causes is a good thing. Taking meds *instead of* dealing with the underlying cause is a bad thing, and while it may be good for a short while, in the long run it's not.

So... is the counsellor (checks spelling ) suggesting this *while* dealing with the underlying cause(s), or *instead of* dealing with the underlying causes?

The answer to that leads me to my own personal decision. And should help you in finding yours, DS.

Cheers. You've got friends who care for you just because.

And that's my American two cents, worth... .0052789 more than Variol's Candian two cents, based on the currency converter I found

Gods, that's getting too geeky...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

DS, I agree with Bungleau- who once again has voiced most of the responses I'd have made to a subject! If you're using the meds to help cope while working out what's causing the problems, then it's a good thing. If you're avoiding the real problems and just treating the symptoms with them, then not a good thing. Best wishes for all of it to work out. I think Variol's got a point- try to focus on you and what works/makes you feel ok while eliminating or confronting the bad. But then, you are already seeing a counselor so if you trust the professional, work with them to fix whatever's wrong.

PS: BEYOND Geeky, there, dear Bungleau! LOL
Old 03-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Variol - I can't take out most of my piercings. First off the hole will close up, second off there are safety backs on four of them, and one is a captive ball ring and I dont know how to take them out without doing myself some damage. But I see what you are getting at with that comment.

Bung - The counsellor is suggesting it as an addition to regular counselling. Which might not be an option till next acedemic year (Septermber / October), not as an alternative. If she had said that there would be not doubt about it - I would not take it. As it is, I am rather against drug treatment as I do not think they work mostly. I want to get rid of what is really making me unhappy, rather than just the symptoms (which is partly a reason for piercings and blue hair - I have confidence issues, and getting those done has, oddly, increased my confidence a fair bit).
But I know that I can't do that and expect it to solve everything, because it won't.
If I end up on drugs or not, I intend to get at least a bit more councelling. I have a few issues in my past which I clearly never got over (hell, thinking about 'em is making me teary), which I need to do.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

..and if you take the advice of those "Americans", you'll just give them a swelleder head!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion

If there are things that are making you unhappy, then by no means should you be on drugs. I say you should work through what you need to work through before going on the meds.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar View Post
If there are things that are making you unhappy, then by no means should you be on drugs. I say you should work through what you need to work through before going on the meds.
This American, you can listen to!
Old 03-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I'd have to agree about drugs never being the answer. The danger is you can become physically and/or emotionally addicted to anitdepressents. Look at them as painkillers, they numb the pain but do not heal the cause. Alcohol does the same for some people.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Seeing as how I'm *NOT* a mental health professional, nor do I play one on TV, I have to stick with my guns: if the meds are in addition to a plan to work on the underlying issues, fine. If they're in place of such a plan, then not fine... at least, not for long. I hesitate to even allow them that much space because "not long", unless well-defined, can become years (as I've seen personally).

IOW, I don't think that there's a black-and-white answer that can be given to you without knowing a lot more of the story, and frankly, that's not my position. A counsellor is a great person to fill that role... a shrink of some sort. Over here, psychologists can provide therapy, psychiatrists can provide therapy *and* medication. Don't know if the same is true over there or not (or even up where Variol is ).

People fall on extremes of the "drugs/no drugs" wars. I stay in the middle (like a true waffling weasel )... use them as a tool in a defined treatment plan.

That doesn't negate what Illumina says... if there are issues, deal with them. Sometimes, though, it's necessary to regain your balance before continuing on. Is this one of those times? I don't know... a qualified professional can help determine it.

Doesn't negate what Variol says, either. I *suspect* that meds are not a long-term solution... but I don't know enough. I do know that *I* prefer life without BP meds... and I have to regain my focus to get there again. In the meantime, the meds help me continue on my way. As part of a treatment plan coordinated with my doctor, I might add.

DS, you've got a lot of support and encouragement here on IW. (I almost wrote "obviously got", but I truly hate when people use that self-superior word ). Whenever you need encouragement, a shoulder, or an ear, there are people here, on- and off-line.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote