Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2003, 12:10 PM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

People actually question whether such a school is neccessary to protect gay students from hate and harassment...

Story
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) _ Picketers who waved signs strewn with anti-gay epithets greeted students as they started their first day at a high school that was expanded to accommodate gay and lesbian teens.

But supporters of the 72 students and seven teachers at Harvey Milk High School on Astor Place shielded the teens from the protesters as they came to school.

Many of the protesters decried homosexuality as being against God's laws, calling the teens sodomites and other offensive names.

But others were on hand to defend the students.

"For those of you who say this school is unnecessary, I would refer you to some of the signs and comments from over there," said City Council Speaker Gifford Miller as he pointed to the picketers.

Education officials announced the $3.2 million expansion of the school in July. The officials said it would eventually house 170 students.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:29 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Why didn't they just deride them for going to a "special school" based on sexuality. I mean, really, who actually KNOWS anything about their sexuality in high school? It's absurd.

Harvey Milk -- guffaw [img]graemlins/1drinkspit.gif[/img]

Hey, do they ride a short bus?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:29 PM   #3
Faceman
Hathor

Am I getting this correctly? They are actually making a SEPARATE school for gay kids? Isn't that segregation at its worst?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:35 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
Am I getting this correctly? They are actually making a SEPARATE school for gay kids? Isn't that segregation at its worst?
It is an optional school for students who face and/or fear harrasment at other schools. AFAIK You dont even need to be gay to attend. It is an optional school that has been around for many years, but just recently recieved more $$$ in order to expand and so it has recieved alot of media scrutiny. I think calling it segregation is a bit far-fetched.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:36 PM   #5
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:

Harvey Milk -- guffaw [img]graemlins/1drinkspit.gif[/img]
LOL...irony at its best is sometimes unintended.

[ 09-09-2003, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 09-09-2003, 01:32 PM   #6
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Picketers who waved signs strewn with anti-gay epithets greeted students as they started their first day at a high school that was expanded to accommodate gay and lesbian teens.

But supporters of the 72 students and seven teachers at Harvey Milk High School on Astor Place shielded the teens from the protesters as they came to school.

Many of the protesters decried homosexuality as being against God's laws, calling the teens sodomites and other offensive names.
No one told me that Fred Phelps was in town.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:19 PM   #7
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
It is an optional school for students who face and/or fear harrasment at other schools. AFAIK You dont even need to be gay to attend. It is an optional school that has been around for many years, but just recently recieved more $$$ in order to expand and so it has recieved alot of media scrutiny. I think calling it segregation is a bit far-fetched. [/QUOTE]Still I don't think it's a good idea as it is the first move towards segregation. "You don't have to be gay to attend" means to me that parents will send their kids their if
+ they are gay
+ the parents want their kids to learn "tolerance lessons"
+ the parents don't care if their kids classmates are gay or not (which is the way it should be

Yet the parents and kids who do not want gay students at their school would have succeeded in mobbing them out of there.
Well, we're harrassing you. What you're gonna do about it. If you don't like it go to a black, jewish, gay school.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:22 PM   #8
Rokenn
Galvatron

personally I thing they should just send the bullies, haters to their 'special' school. Formally known as juvenile hall [img]smile.gif[/img]

TL,
Just checking you do know who Harvey Milk is right?
Old 09-09-2003, 03:26 PM   #9
MagiK

So where does the segregation end? And Ummm is it really too much to ask, that kids in school, keep their sexuality to themselves?....of course being a father makes me want to think my kids wont be exploring that till they are adults...but I know better.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:44 PM   #10
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

And Ummm is it really too much to ask, that kids in school, keep their sexuality to themselves?
hahaha you can't be serious can you? Would this 'keeping their sexuality to themselves' apply to hetrosexual kids as well? These poor kids are bursting with hormones. Trying to keep kids in HS from exploring there sexuality is like trying to stop a mack truck with a sheet of paper.

New HS rules:
No hand holding
no goo goo eyes
no kissing in the halls
no dating!
No dancing! (because you know where that leads!)
did I miss anything?

[img]tongue.gif[/img]