Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-23-2003, 10:24 AM   #1
Vampire

I will attempt to be bold, and put to this very alive and learned eruiditious Ironworks audiance, a definitive way to stop terrorism. It may not be fully practical, rather it's more of a fundamental and philosophical approach.

It all come down to understanding why people become terrorists and MORE importantly why people don't.

The basic underlyings for terrorism is not in the mind but very much a factual problem. However, to solve it we have to use a different approach.

Why is there Terrorism?

Think of it simply and natrually: I have a dislike or contempt for a neighbouring nation or a race/religion of people. My country doesn't want to goto war with that nation due to any number of reasons.
I take matters into my own hands. Thus, terrorism.

How to Stop Terrorism?

Perhaps it is foolish to say any measure will stop terrorism infinitely. There are always individuals that work beyond most people's logic and perception. Therefore we can always expect our fair share of mishaps along history's millions of unrecorded incidents.

So here we go. What will it take for a terrorist to NOT commit his/her act of destruction?
We all have places we don't like and people we prefer weren't there. Whether it's a race, a nation or your boss at work. But we don't go around killing them or blowing their cars up, do we? Do we?! *jokes*
Why not?

1) Compassion for human life. We were brought up knowing compassion for human and animal life. We know what is right or wrong. Though we may commit little crimes to occasional larger ones, the majority of us lead normal lives.

2) Too much at stake. We are good at seeing if what we have to loose is worth what is to be gained. This is what drives all organisms forward, and evolution forward. Is bombing another country worth it if I run being caught? What about my job? Family? Friends? How will I look on TV? Will I be disgraced, extradited, sentenced to how long?

So with those 2 underlying principles of human operation we tackle the problem.

1) It's hard to imagine that one can teach any compassion for ALL human life to a terrorist who is about to kill as many as (s)he can. He/she doesn't regard those who they are about to kill as humans, and I doubt any form of education will teach them otherwise.

Perhaps education at an earlier age might help? But as with children, they are just as much if not more so influenced by: parents, friends and the society arounds them. Even strangers and events.

2) the Balance. Weighing the odds. It's in us all. Everytime we get up in the morning we start weighing the odds. Ever decision we mentally calculate gains and losses.
To stop people making this decision we have to tip the odds.
Make it such that these people have more to loose from being caught!

Right now the odds aren't good:

Advantages:
1) National hero (conscience gets away with it)
2) Self satifaction and pride (very important)
3) Payment (some governments to it)
4) Religious praise (zealotry exists)
5) Revenge/Avenge?

Risks (harder as it varies)
1) Getting caught/killed (ultimate sacrifice)

Shall we add to the second list?

2) loosing your well paid job
3) never seeing your lover/children
4) international disgrace

What I propose from here on is logical deduction. EMPLOYMENT, is the key underlying for these discontent, desperate fanatics.

Opportunities for an honest life with a good pay and the chance to have a family. The chance to use ALL this energy to improve their own lives unimpeded, and not to direct it at others.

[ 09-23-2003, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Avatar ]
Old 09-23-2003, 10:55 AM   #2
Grendal
Manshoon

Its hard to employ ppl in a county with no money!
Old 09-23-2003, 10:58 AM   #3
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Grendal:

That is precisely why I think money should be given to these nations, to jump start a dead economy.

Old 09-23-2003, 10:59 AM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
originally posted by Avatar

Why is there Terrorism?
Because there are humans on this planet.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:01 AM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
quote:
Originally posted by Grendal:

That is precisely why I think money should be given to these nations, to jump start a dead economy.

[/QUOTE]They'll use the money to train even more terrorists. Besides, money is never a problem for terrorist factions, they have plenty of it.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:02 AM   #6
Link
Jack Burton

To be philosophical: "Do not give the man a fish, but teach them how to fish"
Old 09-23-2003, 11:04 AM   #7
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

ummm, haven't we given mney to "these" countries before? just to have them build weapons and bombs?
Old 09-23-2003, 11:05 AM   #8
Vampire

Terrorist Fractions recruit individuals with no hope in life. Nothing to look forward or work for. The fractions give them a goal in life.

We have to try and create a partnership with these countries. To jump start projects to increase employment.

To say to these people:

Look, if you are willing to work, I will pay you. Then you can afford a car, a house and a family.

Or you can work your head off for some terrorists and end your life as you see fit.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:06 AM   #9
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
ummm, haven't we given mney to "these" countries before? just to have them build weapons and bombs?
My point exactly. And even if there wasn't a corrupt government (or some form of political power) there they still wouldn't be able to use the money in a good way.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:09 AM   #10
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
We need to invest in these countries properly. Not just to give them money and say give it back with interest or I'll never give you money again.

We need to say:

Look, I will help you and not sound like Tony Blair too much. I will give you $300 million to build a dam, and employ your youngsters. I will oversee the project to make sure you do spend your money on infrustructure and use it wisely. In return I expect better education and employemnt in your nation.