Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #41
dplax
Jack Burton

Default Re: What book are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balintherlas View Post
I'm not sure if I'll read any of the other dune books, the ones his son wrote, I've heard bad things about them.
I've read almost everything Dune-related and even saw that awful monstrosity that David Lynch created...

The books written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson are indeed nowhere near as good as the books that Frank Herbert wrote. In my opinion no one could have continued the story in the same way as Frank Herbert had planned it, but going by his notes and being his son, Brian Herbert was probably one of those few who could be pretty close to it.

The books written by him will most surely not be considered classics, but to a fan of the Dune series they do provide a certain closure, that Frank Herbert's unfinished series could not provide. You do get a feeling that things could have been better, but unfortunately Frank Herbert did not have the time to finish his work.

All in all his son's involvement is much the same as Christopher Tolkien's involvement with his father's literary legacy.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #42
bubbe
Zhentarim Guard

the dark elf trilogy with R. A. Salvatore.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #43
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
Atlas Shrugged? I keep hearing about it. how is it? It sounds like more of a commentary book. Is it actually a real novel?
Yep, a real novel, 1300 pages of it. It was published back in 1957, has various critics and supporters. Although it is essentially a work of fiction it effects a fairly in-depth introduction to Ayn Rand's philosophical themes, which she developed into the philosophy of Objectivism. Much harder reading in parts than a lot of books, more like wading through Tolkien's Silmarillion than a quick romp through LOTR (imagine!) - there is one particular speech, to which the novel builds up in the first 1000 pages, during which one of the protagonists goes into some fairly serious discussion which encompasses metaphysical, epistemological, ethical, and to an extent political ideas. The fact that this was supposed to be a radio speech (3 hours long) strikes me as a poor device; just listening to what is discussed would leave most people floundering to remember where it started and feeling overwhelmed towards the end, if they didn't just switch stations on the radio. Hell, I read sections of that part a few times to get my head around where it was going and took a break twice, even though it is only 56 pages long.

Is it worth reading? Yes.

Should it be taken as a definitive philosophy on how to live your life? Absolutely not, but it has some good pointers.

Worth checking out: Muhammad Yunus, founder of Grameen Bank and Nobel Peace prize winner - Banker to the Poor http://www.grameen-info.org/book/index.htm

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #44
wellard
Dracolisk

Just finished reading "The God Delusion" by British biologist Richard Dawkins. So many people (on the net and real life) have recommended that I read this book that I gave in under a sense of pressure really.

Outstanding! he deconstructs religion piece by piece and encapsulated so many of my random thoughts and beliefs into a coherent scientific and often humorous argument. A thought provoking and interesting read at least, a life changing call into the arms of free thought over religious oppression at best.

Sensational

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #45
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

The Fires of Heaven (Book 5 Wheel of Time) - After a Shadow Rising I could not help but dive into the next one, I expect ithis one will be good but not so good as the last so I may take a slight break and read something different after this one.

Shadow Rising (Completed - (Book 4 Wheel of Time) -I think this as been the best book thus far, it was really really good. I can't see any of the other books being quite so good as this one. I can't say too much of why I liked this book without spoilers but I think Perrin's adventures as well as the happenings in the White Tower as highlights.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:38 AM   #46
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

If you like the white tower intrigue you may like the latest books, there's plenty of it. Personally it's one of my favorite aspects so I really like the latest books.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #47
layla17
Welcomed New User

I'm actually reading a nonfiction book by Bill Bryson called In a Sunburned Country
layla17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #48
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Hi all, this is my first post in awhile but I just finished reading "Halls of Stormweather", a Forgotten Realms novel with several short stories about the Uskevren of Sembia. Pretty decent.

Now I'm reading Alliances, the second book in the "Elven Exiles" trilogy by Paul Thompson and Tonya Cook set in the Dragonlance world.

Then I'm going to read Weis' newest, "Amber and Blood", the last book in the Dark Disciples trilogy, also Dragonlance.

Then I'll think I'll be reading the next novel in a Song of Ice and Fire series, if Martin doesn't delay it again.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:26 PM   #49
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

Im actually reading The Wheel Of Time series by the late Robert Jordan.

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #50
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

The Fires of Heaven (Book 5 Wheel of Time) - Over half way through this one and I have to say so far I was wrong. This one is at least as good as Book 4. No Perrin in it but it has been super thus far. A couple new characters they have had mention in previous books but much more involved in this one. Namely Bridget and All of the Forsaken especially Rands personal bard. Very interesting that. I an wondering what happens if anyone finds out who he really is. My first guess would be they would want to kill him leading to an intense moment but they most likely don't and would he betray Rand. My guess is, no at least not until the darkone and everyone of the forsaken has been taken care of.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote