Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2004, 06:19 PM   #1
Blood_Golem
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What is in Durlag's Tower? I've heard a lot about it in the forum but I don't want to go in, in case I'm not at a high enough level or I miss something. So what is actually there?
Old 07-16-2004, 08:23 PM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Treasures, experience, and a sick adventure. Head in there

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 08:26 PM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
You've got TotSC expansion right? Go there and have fun

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:33 PM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Blood_Golem:
What is in Durlag's Tower? I've heard a lot about it in the forum but I don't want to go in, in case I'm not at a high enough level or I miss something. So what is actually there?
What is your party's composition/levels? Durlag's Tower is a very difficult area, especially if you are too low in level. However, I have always found it to be one of the most rewarding areas of the game. It has a great quest, lots of xp and treasure, but also lots of challenges/monsters/traps, etc. You can go to it anytime you want to, but it is best to wait until you finish Chapter 4 at the very least.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 06:49 AM   #5
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Durlag's Tower is an area of many floors, traps, and difficult monsters, along with a few puzzles. It's tricky but by no means impossible - it starts you off reasonably slowly with some manageable enemies and then it's up to you from there. Basically, if you can get inside without too much trouble, you can handle it. Expect doom guards, spiders, basilisks, dopplegangers, and other similarly tough creatures. Make sure your party is level 6 at least before entering, and spend all the money you can in preparing to enter, since it's usually always one of the last dungeons you'll deal with. Make sure you have good weapons, armour, and as many potions, scrolls, and magic arrows you can get your hands on - they'll all come in very handy. The rewards of Durlag's Tower are incredible. You'll get bucketfulls of experience and treasure - it's very unlikely for anyone not to hit their XP cap after emerging from it. Good luck, and have fun. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Arledrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 10:57 PM   #6
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Durlag's Tower, IMO, is a standard on what RPGs should be. There is another TotSC quest/opportunity that I found great but it seems you haven't gotten to Ulgoth's beard yet so I'll refrain from saying anymore about it. I have played many PC RPG's but there is something about this Tower that so outstanding in design and play. The creativity is second to none. Make sure your party has a very good thief to find and detect traps. And, by the way, there are times when you need a Cleric to cast detect traps because even a thief with 110% detect traps won't find every one... You'll see.

You'll need every trick you can think of to survive. Every standard class is vitally important. Tanks are indespensible but so are the spells, both clerical and arcane.

I found finishing chapter 5 of Baldur's Gate before moving onto Tales of the Sword Coast (TotSC)the best way to go. Then return to chapter 6 after you've finished all the quests. Also, I agree with Arledrian to have your party at 6th level beforeattempting the Tower. Oh yes, one more thing: SAVE, SAVE, SAVE!

[ 07-17-2004, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote