Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 08:45 AM   #1
TinyMage
Dungeon Master

I am planning to give my lord 1 level of ninja and train him in critical strike + stealth.

I read somewhere that critical strike is raised by hitting an opponent. I thought I might equip the weakest weapon possible on my lord and hit some enemy forever to raise CS up to 100 ( assuming the enemy has enough hitpoints ). That way I would only use one level as ninja.

So does anyone know a monster type that is immune to CS?
TinyMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
xfactor
Dungeon Master

I think the only immune monsters are the named ones - the boss characters that you start to fight about halfway through the game.

However, there appears to be some sort of level modifier with the CS skill. If you can find a high level monster (relative to your character's level) that poses little threat you could use that as practice.

I would warn you, though, that CS training could take a very long time. It seems to go up very slowly and my Ninjas have a hard time maxing it out by the end of the game wihtout any training.

xfactor
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Yah, you can get CS up to the 70's only reasonably fast, then the learning curve takes a big jump. The payoff isn't very good, either, as a character with 100 in CS only gets an actual 5% roll to crit anything. (you get 1% when the skill appears on your stats, and 1% more for every 25 points in the skill) As xfactor said, you also have to account for monster level, and their resistance.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:22 AM   #4
SpitBall
The Magister

Is "critical strike" the skill the produces "instakill"? I swear I get instakills from characters without critical strike.
SpitBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:33 AM   #5
Sinteuil
The Magister

As far as I know, the only way to get an instakill without critical strike skill is if there's a "kill %" on the weapon you're using.
Sinteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:35 PM   #6
LewyRay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

From my understanding, the chances of getting an instakill from CS skill is only 1% for every 25 skill points...so even at a score of 100, the odds are only 4%. There are many weapons that have a much higher chance.

Also, you would only be able to train CS while the character is a Ninja...once switching to Lord the CS skill cannot be raised (unless you switch back to either a Ninja or other profession that has CS.
LewyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:20 PM   #7
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

No, LW, you get one percent for having the skill at all, then 1% more for each 25 thereafter, like i posted. Max possible is 6% for a Ninja (or Ranger via Ranged Combat) maxed plus the 25% Skill bonus; 5% for others, even with the Assassins' Cap, which only confers 20%.
Weapon Kill % is also less resistable by mobs and has less level differential.
Rangers get instakills with bows, crossbows, and all Modern Weapons, but not with close combat unless the weapon has a % kill.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:14 AM   #8
SpitBall
The Magister

Whatever the stats and percentages - I got 4 in one round last night while fighting Rapax Berserkers. One from RFS-81 with his bare hands, one from the Samurai with a Zatotachi (or whatever) stick, one from the fighter with Fang, and the last from the Psionic with his sling (not even the wrist rocket) loaded with either a Medusa, or a Ta-Li stone. Such luck! And I was probably hexed, too!
SpitBall is offline   Reply With Quote