Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default Has anyone been fined for being a day or two late on their tax return?

I know I had 4 months to do it, but I haven't yet. I'm planning to get it done this weekend. Anyone know if I will end up getting fined or arrested?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Arvon
Unicorn

Default Re: Has anyone been fined for being a day or two late on their tax return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
I know I had 4 months to do it, but I haven't yet. I'm planning to get it done this weekend. Anyone know if I will end up getting fined or arrested?
Not that I know of, though there will be a fine or late penalty. Though IRS agents will be fired for late or wrong returns.

53.7% of all statistics are made up

Last edited by Arvon; 04-15-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: I hit return and I wasn't finished.
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Default Re: Has anyone been fined for being a day or two late on their tax return?

You'll pay penalty and interest.

Any online tax provider (turbo tax, ect) offer easy online Federal extension filing. If your filing in MA you are automatically entitled to a state extension til 10-15.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

If you're getting a refund, I seriously doubt they'd fine you for letting them keep your money an extra couple of days...

If you owe a small amount, say a few hundred dollars, I doubt they'd even notice it. It'll probably take a few days to sort/scan the crush of returns mailed on the 15th anyway. If you owe a lot, and are late by a few weeks, you'll get a letter demanding payment and stating the penalty. I sent in a return without payment once. They will send you 3 notices to pay up before Taking Legal Action. The penalty, if any, is calculated at 18% annual interest. (This was several years ago, it might be more now)

Bottom line -- if it's just a couple of days, I wouldn't sweat it.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
If you are due a tax refund, nothing will happen to you.

If you owe money, you will not be arrested, but you will be assessed both a penalty and interest.

At the very least, go to the quick assessment page and see what you need, or just file an extension if in doubt. http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id...html?portlet=7

Within a circle of two dozen, we sent our payments in today.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

The interest on money owed to the IRS is insane. I got a letter this year saying some of my income was reviewd and partially revoked and that I owe them back around 1k that they already gave me. After some bitching, contesting and an overall lingering confusion I gave up and just let them have it.

Fortunately, I still had most of it with me, so paid it to them right then and there BUT had I not I would have had to select a payment plan which gets hit with interest every 11 days at an rate of 11%! If you did that in low paymenmts you'd never pay it back. My status hasn't changed though, and I fully intend to file in exactly the same way next year so I dunno what will happen, but if I gotta do the whole "hearing" thing I will.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

File the extension paperwork. That will give you three months (at least... I defer to greater knowledge of MA laws).

Interest may not apply, but fines always will.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
Interest may not apply, but fines always will.
Unless you are a politician who has been selected for a cabinet position and *discover* you have a back tax mistake...

My understanding is similiar to what SW posted, 11% every 11 days.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
File the extension paperwork. That will give you three months (at least... I defer to greater knowledge of MA laws).
..yeah, just tell them you've just been assigned to this top secret installation, designed to train US Military Rangers to their full potential.
The rest is secret, but the weight of responsibility in knowing the fate of our (your) very President and the lives of the American public, overshadowed the pressing (but somewhat less so) need to file your return.

You can pay me later!
Old 04-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Bugger. I'm filing this Saturday, hopefully the boffins won't notice (fat chance of that, eh).

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote