Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 12-14-2001, 09:28 PM   #1
Holy Knight Delita
Manshoon

If i went into gatekeeper (or something) and changed my (Say for example) fighters Animated picture to that of a Bard. Would you consider this cheating. Becuase it's not actually altering the game, just changing something for my own fun.

P.S. Visit Ironworks Roleplaying!
Old 12-15-2001, 02:05 AM   #2
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

Good grief, no! And if anyone does they have a stick up their ass.
Old 12-15-2001, 05:35 AM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I do it all the time--one of my favorite combinations is Thief/Mage, whether Dual or Multi, and the annoying thing about combining classes is that you are forced to have the Appearance of whichever class has more hitpoints. So, even though I use my Mage/Thief primarily as a Mage, and Mages look so much cooler, the game wants my to look like a Thief. Not so! say I.
And Elven Clerics look WAAAY cooler than Human ones. Love those spiky shoulder plates.....

There are even ways to make your character look like, say, an Ogre, or Tethtoril, but these are much trickier to implement (to the best of my knowledge, anyway).
Old 12-15-2001, 12:09 PM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Sounds interesting.

How is this done? An option on Gatekeeper?
Old 12-15-2001, 01:48 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
How is this done? An option on Gatekeeper?

Actually, someone used Infinity Explorer to make *.CHR files of some of the non-recruitable NPCs, many of whom have their own unique Appearances, such as Sarevok, Volo, and Ulcaster. Some of these CHR files can then be taken into Gatekeeper and brought back down to "normal" levels. For instance, I think I was able to remove Tethtoril's Magic Resistance, his insane AC and # of hitpoints, and give him the same stats as a normal Mage I'd created. I also tried to play as Tazok, but it always crashed my game when I was about to assign skin/hair/clothing colors. That was before I installed ToSC, though, it may be different now. I WAS able to play as an Ogre, though, but found there are a couple of disadvantages:
1) You're too big to fit through doorways.
2) Before you can take any other quests, you have to find Lord Faarquod to get your swamp back.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:52 PM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:

2) Before you can take any other quests, you have to find Lord Faarquod to get your swamp back.

Yeah, but you get the cool +3 earwax dagger
Old 12-15-2001, 01:54 PM   #7
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
I WAS able to play as an Ogre, though,

Is there a site that has detailed information on how to do this?

thanks,
Old 12-15-2001, 09:04 PM   #8
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

Katherine, here are the URLs for Gatekeeper:

http://www.mud-master.com/gatekeeper/index.html

and Character Control, which allows you to use playable creatures:

http://www.3ddownloads.com/?director.../util_players/

from the list of files at the above location you want:

bg_ed149.zip
Character Control - Baldur's Gate v1.4.

Both applications are very user-friendly, intuitive to use, etc. If you have any questions about how to use them just post.