Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 05:18 AM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Gah, even Hillary Clinton is on the case now [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]

Quote:
Former first lady aligns with hardline right-wingers to slam Grand Theft Auto

New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton has launched an attack on violent videogames, singling out Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto titles as a "major threat" to morality.

Clinton, who is reportedly planning to seek the Democratic presidential nomination for the 2008 election, has aligned herself with hardline right-wing Republican senators in order to pressure Congress into researching the impact of electronic media on children.

"Children are playing a game that encourages them to have sex with prostitutes and then murder them," she said in a statement on the issue. "This is a silent epidemic of media desensitisation that teaches kids it's OK to diss people because they are a woman, they're a different colour or they're from a different place."

She wants a $90 million investigation to be launched into the impact of games and other electronic media on the "cognitive, social, emotional and physical development" of children, according to a Sunday Times report.

Clinton has been joined in her attack on violent games by Republican senators Sam Brownback and Rick Santorum - the latter of whom is best known for his outspoken stance on homosexuality, which he is accused of comparing to bestiality in public statements.

American political analysts have noted that Clinton has taken on some increasingly right wing stances on domestic issues in recent months, in an effort to win support from traditionally Republican voters in the next presidential race, with videogames being merely the latest political kicktoy to be adopted by the ambitious senator.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:25 AM   #2
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:

...it's OK to diss people...

She actually said "diss"?
i thought she was supposed to be educated
that's not really a formal speech then, and what does diss even mean? (don't answer that, i do know, my point was it's slang not a real word)
I wouldn't vote for her just because she said that.

Anyway, i like my video games, sure, stop kids aged like 7 from playing violent ones, but i hope this doesn't affect older gamers.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:48 AM   #3
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I don't remember being encouraged to have sex with prostitutes and kill them in Grand Theft Auto?? What kind of game has she been playing... Or was I missing out? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 03-30-2005, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:52 AM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
I don't remember being encouraged to have sex with prostitutes and kill them in Grand Theft Auto?? What kind of game has she been playing... Or was I missing out? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Well, you could only do that in the uncencored version, and not many people got that (It was only on sale here in Australia for about a week)
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

She conveniently ignores that it also encourages you to shoot people, steal cars, kill cops... nah, it's only about the desensitization towards women [img]smile.gif[/img]

Yeah, it's another political stick. I can think of a place where that political stick should be stuck, but I'll leave it at that.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:29 AM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
She must have been confusing the game with her hubby's late night adventures in the Oval Office.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:01 AM   #7
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

that was really good jonny
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:09 AM   #8
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
I've only played GTA4, but having sex with prostitutes would heal your character, and killing them would get your money back. So the game atleast rewarded you for having sex with prostitutes and to kill them.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:11 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Say it ain't so Hillary. And you's was one o my peeps.

Well, here's what they're pressuring for:

Quote:
pressure Congress into researching the impact of electronic media on children.
So, at worst it's just research. Which I wouldn't be opposed to aside from the HUGE NATIONAL DEFICIT YOU IGNORANT ARSED POLITICIANS. QUIT SPENDING MY MONEY!!
Old 03-30-2005, 10:24 AM   #10
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Well said, everybody...I don't think that I have an idea left that wasn't posted

GTA is a sick series to be true...but doesn't it just emphasize how society should work on defining the difference between reality and fantasy? I mean, honestly, it obviously needs a little work...at least enough to get those idiots to leave my video games alone!

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote