Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2004, 01:21 AM   #1
Nicodareus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

After giving up on four other solo attempts (fighter/mage, Kensai-mage, Beserker-cleric and a Blade) I was thinking about giving a monk a try. Has anyone else out there soloed a monk before? Any ideas on items, tactics etc? I figure it shouldnt be too hard, once I reach the higher levels.
Nicodareus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:29 AM   #2
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

IF you gave up on the other solo attempts because they were too hard, I would advise you not to solo a monk....
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:46 AM   #3
Nerull
Lord Ao

Yes, soloing requires a lot of patience, but especially so for monks. They are very weak in the beginning; you have to wait a while before they become stronger (level 14+).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:57 AM   #4
Nickzilla
Dungeon Master

But when they hit level 14+, they get oh-so very powerful.
Nickzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:19 AM   #5
bjorn
Zhentarim Guard

One problem for solo monks is killing trolls.

so here's a tip: get alot of poison darts. or perhaps there called darts of biting.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:27 PM   #6
Tyrion
Quintesson

I think Faceman or someone else on this forum did it...thoug not all the way because it is simply too easy later on. It was good reading, though when he took him through BG!
Old 06-10-2004, 03:57 PM   #7
Jorsh
Dungeon Master

I soloed a monk through SoA but not into ToB. I advise that you do the Trademeet quest right away. You will have to kill some trolls, but knocking them to the ground is good enough, right? Once you do the quest a trademeet merchant will sell a monk-usable weapon that does poison damage. Also, you can do the Immsville quest. In the temple there are sling bullets that deal fire damage, but I forget their names. Fighting is a little hard at first, but I mainly did nonfighting quests first and saved the battles for later when I was stronger. Once you reach level 11-13-14 you gain an insane amount of power. Arrows never hit you and your natural AC is very low. When I played with my solo monk I didn't have a patch or something and it allowed him to wear the boots of speed. These boots with his natural speed made me able to run away from anyone so I could regroup.

Hope this helped.
Jorsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 04:08 PM   #8
TyranyuZ

Soloing monk is VERY boring, I mean come on, playing with same appearance whole game.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:50 PM   #9
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I personally have not played it before, but I will tell you what Faceman has told me.

He solo'd a monk right through from bg1-->ToB using the bgt mod, well at least he intended too. He said he loved bg1, it was very challenging and was great fun. Bg2 started off well too, and he was looking forward to a good conclusion, but then when he hit level 14 he said it was crap. It was a walkover. To test how easy it was he went straight for watchers keep, by the time the level 40 monk came up against Demogron (sp) he kicked its ass in 3 seconds. Now if you like powergaming you'l be wetting yourself, but if you prefer to roleplay, and have a challenging game then I wouldn't recommend a monk as the solo to choose.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:42 PM   #10
Nicodareus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I didnt finish the other games because i became bored. I'll give the monk a go, and see how it is. I havent been through the games evil storyline so it shouldnt get too boring. Im currently doing the de'Arnise keep and killing trolls is a breeze, after knocking them out i stab them with the sword of flame.
Nicodareus is offline   Reply With Quote