Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2003, 06:11 AM   #1
Faceman
Hathor

Okay, so I started a solo monk (lawful evil) with BGT and I going to report my exploits here.
The beginning in short:
- Ran errands in Candlekeep, insulted li'l Imoen went away with Gorion.
- Gorion died. The old fool kept defending me when we were obviously outnumbered. Left as quickly as possible to collect his remaining gear afterwards.
- Imoen had followed us and no matter what I said she kept following me. I finally managed to give her the boot.
- Met two travelers who wanted me to join them. I declined, mommy said never talk to strangers. Come to think of it I never had a mummy but they were annoying.
- Made my way to the Friendly Arm and was attacked by a mage. Take it from me, if you only have 8HP and no protection whatsovever Magic Missile is as good as Power Word Kill. Stunning Blow to the rescue!
- Two old friends of Gorion were waiting for me but I blew them off. The guy was constantly stuttering, I don't need this amateurs to tag along.
- Various people gave me some stupid errands to run. I need to make some money, so I guess I may do one or two of them.
- Traveled towards Beregost and came across that dumb Ogre with the belt-fetish. Guess I take that belt back to the little guy for the reward
- Got a nice reward but I figured the belt would be useful, so I ripped his heart out when noone was watching. Wouldn't want to cross the law, now would I
- Arrived in Beregost were some Bard wanted to hire me for 300gp. I agreed but that woman wanted to cut the deal to 200gp. I don't like being cheated and have no qualms about hitting women so she fell.
- Heard that there was a bounty on some guy named Basilius so I went to see him. Played into his stupid hallucination to make all those skeleton warriors fall. Took him out and collected the bounty and some nice items too. Guess it's time for a yard sale.
- Traveled to the lighthouse. Never noticed how easy sirenes are to beat before. They have no melee qualities and their charms did not works as well as they had intended to (casted Mordenkaine's Reload several times though). This was a nice XP boost [img]smile.gif[/img]
- Continued to Nashkel. Some stupid guy gave me money because he mistook me for a guy named Greywolf. Sucker.
- Nashkel Mines: Finally met that Greywolf guy. He was pissed and stunned (Wand of Paralysis) and not a very tough fighter (without being able to move [img]smile.gif[/img] )
- entered the mines, I'm curious what's coming next
Old 11-02-2003, 06:22 AM   #2
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

MORE MORE MORE!!!!!
Old 11-02-2003, 07:36 AM   #3
Tyrion
Quintesson

yes please continue!
your monk rocks...i hate myself for being too lazy and incompetent in computing. If i was better i would get bgt and play monk...yeah!
Old 11-02-2003, 07:40 AM   #4
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I think I might start up a solo monk after I've finished off my Barbarian.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:41 AM   #5
Faceman
Hathor

Okay, continued playing and continuing telling,
- cleared the upper levels of the Nashkel Mines, these miners sure are sissies. I mean come on, kobolds? They can't even take one hit from Greywolf's sword. Greywolf himself would have a lot of fun here, if he wasn't dead that is Found some Greenstone ring.
- Met an elven Mage, Xen or Xan or something. Didn't really care. He was so negative and left immediately after our dialogue.
- Mulahey! Man this name is even more stupid than VanMcNulty. Another supposedly great warrior who was "stunned" when he saw me his goons only required one twitch on my trusty Necklace of Missiles. from his chest I took the heart wrapped it up and added it to my collection from his chest I took some loot and two notes which confirmed my strong beliefs that this was some creepy operation yadayadayada
- Back to Nashkel and picked up the reward. I ROCK! Met a gal whose husband obviously died in the mines as I foun that ring beside a corpse. I told her that she shouldn't be worried he probably is in a safer place now and I'm gonna keep the ring for this piece of advice.
- moved up to Beregost to meet Mulahey's (ROFL) contact and sell some loot
- got to lvl7 finally after battling some bandits. Now I can finally rest and use healing.
- the contact's name is Tranzig. The two must have joined forces because of their sadistic parents. Anyway it was the usual stuff. Sneaked up on him and put a blade in his back, he begged for mercy, I finished the job, looted his corpse. He had some nice containers which will probably come in handy as my backpack really doesn't hold much. It's a pity rings and amulets don't stack, maybe if I just took out the gems, because for some reason THEY do.
- Something tells me I should check out that bandit camp, but I think I'll go hunting first, it seems like so much more fun.
- Finally got to rest. Slept over at the Jovial Juggler and had TWO dreams. Whew, that was a busy night. Nice, now I can LarlochDrain people twice a day, that should be fun.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:48 AM   #6
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Whats your difficulty setting? I thought monks were punks on lower levels??
Old 11-02-2003, 01:50 PM   #7
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:

thats probably why hes using a sword...

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 02:14 PM   #8
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
- Met an elven Mage, Xen or Xan or something. Didn't really care. He was so negative and left immediately after our dialogue.
No,no. You got it wrong. I am Human,a poster here at IW. Xan is my cousin. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Nice story BTW! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 11-02-2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 04:17 PM   #9
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:

thats probably why hes using a sword... [/QUOTE]I'm playing on Core Rules. I never do anything else, as I don't like the AI's cheese on Insane and anything easier would be cheesy of myself.
It's indeed hard on the lower levels. I had to reload a lot.
Now that I hit lvl7 I finally got Lay on Hands which makes me able to restore my full health with about one day resting. Before I had to rely on potions and temples, as a tenday rest would have been too long.
I DO use Greywolf's sword for easy foes (Kobolds, Xvarts,...) because it's a clean one hit kill. I also use it for backstabbing (no multiplier for monks, but still handy). For normal combat I still rely on my fists as they give me 2 attacks per round (opposed to only one with the sword) and thus give me a higher average damage/round.
For really hard guys (e.g. Flesh Golems) I use the following cheese tactic:
WHILE uglymonster=alive DO
BEGIN
Hide in Shadows;
Backstab; {no multiplier but still +5 to hit}
Run away until out of sight;{the monks speed bonus comes in handy here}
END;
{A free Scroll of Identify for who guesses the language}

[ 11-02-2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Faceman ]
Old 11-02-2003, 04:27 PM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin