Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2001, 08:22 AM   #11
Zbyszek

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
**SIGH**

It's on the map, folks. I don't know about you folks, but I bought the retail version of BG, and it comes with a map of the whole city, with labels indicating all prominent landmarks and quest locations, including Oberon's Estate. True, some of the labels are kinda difficult to read, but I can live with that. That map and the Game Manual are the best copy-protect BioWare could have done: With them, all you need is a little bit of smarts to build a kick-ass party and lay waste to the Sword Coast, but if you had a friend burn you a copy of Baldur's Gate and you haven't read the manual, you have to resort to the Internet, finding sites with walkthroughs, and posting DUMB questions (like "Is 18/00 Strength better than 18/01?") on forums like this one. Forums should be for GOOD questions, such as why Thieves with low Pick Lock skills seem to do better at Disarming Traps than Thieves with 100% Locks.

I have to agree. Anyway my BG version has no labels. And before I installed ToSC I didnt even know ETA (estimated time of arrival - for that ones who do not play battles throughout the whole galaxy). I had to remember that some route was shorter than other.

Zbyszek

Zbyszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 09:25 AM   #12
Cloud
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
**SIGH**

It's on the map, folks. I don't know about you folks

What if he didn't get the map or lost it as did I. If you don't know about us folks shut up and don't presume.

------------------
Cloud
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 07:57 PM   #13
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

SixOfSpades i dont think youre right there. As others said, you could have just lost the map or whatever, and sometimes asking for help and having people explain things for you is better and easier than reading a manual.

And your question isnt really good , trap disarming has nothing to do with pick locking, it depends on the trap detection skill.

------------------
"It feels good" -Ertai, Captive of the Blinding Angel
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 06:38 PM   #14
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

How can you "lose" the map in the time elapsed between opening the box and getting the Halruaan Skyship quest? You're checking that thing constantly! And I find working out the best strategies for myself, from the Game Manual, and putting together the best possible party, from a list of the NPCs and their stats, much more rewarding than going online and essentially asking for the answers out of the back of the book, or building a party exactly like everyone else's. So far, the only time I've seen the Manual fail me is where it said that the Lock Picking skill is used to disarm traps, and you use the Thieving button to do it.
(What I think I'll do in my next Single Player game is to randomly pick 5 NPCs from that list, no matter their alignments or how crappy their stats are. That being said, Please don't let me pick Osprey, PLEASE don't let me pick Osprey, PLEASE don't....)
Oh yeah, I finally killed Tazok in the Bandit Camp for the first time last night. He always managed to get away before, but this time he didn't even say he had to leave. I wonder if having Kivan in my party had anything to do with it? And Tazok is indeed wearing Plate and the Gauntlets, at least in my version.
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 06:40 PM   #15
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Getting directly back to the subject:

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrion:
Where is Oberons estate?
I just cant find it!
I have been going house to house but still...
Finding Oberon's estate is a good thing, but don't stop going from house to house.
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 09:50 PM   #16
Piglet477
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just so everyone is clear. Oberon's estate is located next to the Three Keg Inn. I mean, it is right there. It's a big pink house and it's located right next door to the Three Kegs Inn. Does that help you Tyrion?
Piglet477 is offline   Reply With Quote