Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2002, 12:31 PM   #1
Deathbringer

Well I've noticed recently that my monitor has been making a really loud high-pitched noise. The noise is hard to explain but it sounds a little like that noise you sometimes get in your ears after someone yells in them.
Anyway, I am starting to worry. I've tested all of the connections and they're all fine. What could it be? Is my monitor going to blow up?

Also I have noticed that the noise is a lot louder when there is a lot of 'white' on the screen at once.

Old 09-12-2002, 12:38 PM   #2
MagiK

The high pitched whine sometimes heard from CRT type displays (TV's or computer monitors) is usually caused by the flyback transformer. This component is made of metal sheets laminated together with copper wires coiled around parts of it. The lamanint (sticky stuff that holds it all together) some times dries out and some of the metal plates are thus loosened just a tiny bit, allowing magnetic fields to cause them to vibrate causing the high pitched squeel.

I got this explanation a million years ago when I was doing electrical engineering studies in the Navy [img]smile.gif[/img]

Umm forgot to mention, this is usually a harmless effect, except for the insanity it drives some people to [img]smile.gif[/img] And should not affect the performance of the monitor unless it gets seriously bad, to the point where the transformer falls apart.

Also forgot to mention, the flyback transformer provides the really high voltage deflection current....I think...geez now I've forgotten... *sigh*

[ 09-12-2002, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 09-12-2002, 12:40 PM   #3
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Darn mutch problems you have with that monitor Deathbringer if i was you i would send it to repair because it maby can be dangerus to sitt in front of it if it explode, i dont try to scare you and i have never heard about a monitor that have exploded only tv`s but be careful! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2002, 12:43 PM   #4
MagiK

Not much chance of an explosion. Usually TV's that explode are sitting near a window. This happens when it is cold out side and the TV tubes are HOT. A very cold gust of air leaking around a window or seam can cause the tube to shatter and implode..then explode [img]smile.gif[/img] This happened to us when I was 8 or 9, luckily we were all far enough away that the glass didnt reach us...it was durring the TV show Flipper.....poor flipper whent BOOOOM!

Old 09-12-2002, 12:45 PM   #5
MagiK

Yep, looked it up. The flyback transformer supplies the 20 -75 kilovolt deflection current that moves the electron beam back and forth accross the screen. [img]smile.gif[/img] More than anyone wanted to know I bet [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2002, 04:06 PM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
The high pitched whine sometimes heard from CRT type displays (TV's or computer monitors) is usually caused by the flyback transformer. This component is made of metal sheets laminated together with copper wires coiled around parts of it. The lamanint (sticky stuff that holds it all together) some times dries out and some of the metal plates are thus loosened just a tiny bit, allowing magnetic fields to cause them to vibrate causing the high pitched squeel.

I got this explanation a million years ago when I was doing electrical engineering studies in the Navy [img]smile.gif[/img]

Umm forgot to mention, this is usually a harmless effect, except for the insanity it drives some people to [img]smile.gif[/img] And should not affect the performance of the monitor unless it gets seriously bad, to the point where the transformer falls apart.

Also forgot to mention, the flyback transformer provides the really high voltage deflection current....I think...geez now I've forgotten... *sigh*
That is EXACTLY what it is! Not many people know this! But I need to add that this loosening can cause the fly-back to overcharge--you WILL know when this happens, you will hear a god-awful LOUD crackling sound, turn it off FAST before the circuit board in the Monitor (or a TV) gets overloaded as well.

I've installed new fly-backs in my 27 inch TV a few times (part costs around $20) compared to the $150 a repair shop charges--DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS yourself unless you know how to drain the charge out of the TV. tube, because those hold a few AMPS which kill VERY quickly, even if it's unplugged for a week, it still holds a charge.

But a friend of mine taught me this and I bought tools to do this.

Keep an ear to the sound--if the noise gets louder, it's getting worse, and you should take it in for 'primitive' repairs, or just buy a new one since the cost of repair shops charge as much as a new one would cost these days.

[ 09-12-2002, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 09-12-2002, 04:10 PM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
Darn mutch problems you have with that monitor Deathbringer if i was you i would send it to repair because it maby can be dangerus to sitt in front of it if it explode, i dont try to scare you and i have never heard about a monitor that have exploded only tv`s but be careful! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
They don't explode, the implode. (Tubes implode because it's the TV tube is in a vacuum)

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 09-12-2002, 07:02 PM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
They don't explode, the implode. (Tubes implode because it's the TV tube is in a vacuum)[/QUOTE]Well technically [img]smile.gif[/img] they implode first but then they explode [img]smile.gif[/img] We had glass three feet away from the tv [img]smile.gif[/img] . I never heard of a flyback going that far out of whack [img]smile.gif[/img] .....usually I just replace the TV or monitor when it reaches the point where the sound is driving me insane [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Jeez Z. I didnt know you knew how to use a soldering iron [img]smile.gif[/img] kind of a lost art, now its easier to just buy a new item rather than fix it.

[ 09-12-2002, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 09-12-2002, 08:57 PM   #9
Deathbringer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
I've installed new fly-backs in my 27 inch TV a few times (part costs around $20) compared to the $150 a repair shop charges--DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS yourself unless you know how to drain the charge out of the TV. tube, because those hold a few AMPS which kill VERY quickly, even if it's unplugged for a week, it still holds a charge.

But a friend of mine taught me this and I bought tools to do this.

Keep an ear to the sound--if the noise gets louder, it's getting worse, and you should take it in for 'primitive' repairs, or just buy a new one since the cost of repair shops charge as much as a new one would cost these days.
Righty then, so it is nothing to worry about.. for now. That is good because I just had to falk out a massive repair job on my car engine and don't have much money left :S

I think I'll get a new monitor when I can afford one. *Nice 21-inch monitor appears in my head* [img]tongue.gif[/img]
thanks Magik, Ziroc and Megabot [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2002, 10:31 PM   #10
MagiK

Don't turn your nose up at a good "used" 19" or 20" monitor. They are pretty plentiful here in the DC area ..I think they get them from failed businesses [img]smile.gif[/img] or perhaps when the boss decides to upgrade to that 50" wall mounted unit Im using a "used" 19" Optiquest V95 on my secondary PC at home right now..got it for $150.